Free Microsoft Antispyware Beta

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just downloaded "Microsoft's Antispyware" that Mr. Bill says will remain free.

I run Ad Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Webroot's Spysweeper...this new ware from MS found some things the other's didn't.

Anyone try it yet or hear good/bad about it?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool sigman microsoft seems to being working on there public relations. i downloaded the windows 64 bit xp beta again i mean man it last a year that plenty a time ill get bored with it by then.ill download the addaware now

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just downloaded the program, thx

woo hoo my computer is still clean no spyware (except for Microsoft)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with it. I had some horrible spyware that gave me lots of popups...adaware didn't find it at all, and spysweeper removed it, but then it came back as soon as I restarted. The microsoft program removed it completely and it hasn't come back.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up. I will try it now and see what it finds.

Curtis

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what I would like is something that combines Ad-aware, spybot, and maybe a few other anti-malware programs into one program. I hate running updates for three or four programs and then having to run them all.

Sort of like what trillian did for instant messaging.

I'm sure there's a pretty good market for such a program.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
What a lucritive market for Microsoft...they conveniently allow the glitches in their OS to allow for spyware/virusus and then they release software to fix it... Bill Gates does it again!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run Spybot and Adaware, and neither one fixes all of my problems. I also use MSCONFIG to check all of the little programs that load when the computer starts and delete the ones that are suspicious, then hunt them down on the hard drive and delete them. I will give MS's program a try.

There is still some mystery in all of this for me. The varmints still in my system are there to pop up Internet Explorer occasionally and show websites trying to sell me something. I even renamed Internet Explorer then put a copy of Notepad ihn its place and renamed it Internet Explorer, but the spyware varmint manages to still find IE and execute it.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the link to my favorite anti-spyware program.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously through, I've found that even the best anti-spyware tools are no substitute for stopping the junk from getting onto your computer in the first place. I browse with Firefox and occasionally run Ad-Aware to get rid of any unwanted programs that might get through (which is almost never).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with it as well. Just scanned a friend's hard drive that I hooked up to my machine. Norton antivirus found all kinds of spyware/adware but was unable to remove most of it, particularly if it is within a compressed file. The microsoft spyware program removed them all. I first found out about the program from a article on PC World and they too gave it good remarks.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:I was reading the download instructions and it looks like this is Giant Anti-Spyware but not the full package?

Microsoft acquired Giant last December.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
I took it as Microsoft bought out Giant. They will continue to support those users software subscriptions. Then when their subscriptions run out, they will need to delete the older Giant wares and install the new MS version. It does look like the Giant wares had more to offer though than just what MS is offering, however of course the MS version is still "Beta" at this time. Bill says they will continue to provide it for free.

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Admit it Bill, Windows is so yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
PhotonBoy,
Please don't "hijack" this thread.

We've seen the "Microsoft/operating system debates" before around here and it usually ends up in a "train wreck". The obvious intended purpose of this thread was to point to a link for those who may be interested.

If you are not interested and would like to debate operating systems, there are plenty of Forums on the WWW to do that in.

Nothing personal, I've been "there" having been brought up on the Radio Shack Model 1, Timex Sinclair, Commodore 64, Atari, MAC, and now "Big Blue"...old stuff, really don't have a desire to "go back there" or watch my thread take a dive. Thanks!

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:

PhotonBoy,
Please don't .....................

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman -

Yes, I took it the same way. I was a little inspired when they spoke of attaining intellectual as well as I.T. property and, even better, Giant personnel came on board with MS.

It would make sense that MS would create a BETA using the basic Giant chassis making sure to include the BHO (browser helper [possible Hijacker]) cleaner. Then, as this is tested and determined to be stable they may add the other "platforms" that Giant had.

It sounds like BatteryCharger experienced a hijack fix from the MS BETA Anti-Spyware Program. I'm looking forward to hearing how bjn70 faired because that issue sounded like a hijacker to me.

Now, of course, it's predictable that the malware drudge are going to target the MS BETA AS. I just looked around and eweek is reporting just that: "On Wednesday anti-virus firms said they uncovered the first malware that switches off Microsoft AntiSpyware, along with its other functions. Troj/BankAsh-A, also known as Trojan-Spy.Win32.Banker.jv and PWS-Banker.j,"

Here is a link to eweek's security article. Certainly, MS is aware that they will have to combat a lot of things like this.

I meant to add in my first post that one of my team members loaded MS AS BETA last Wednesday and reported good performance. This all seems to be a step in the right direction for Microsoft.

I'm confident that my work machines are clean but I'm going to install this Monday morning. Thanks for starting this thread.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for the security article link. I'm hoping that they will stay on top of this as their reputation is of course on it now!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note for those who havn`t downloaded it yet, it`s Win2000+ only. Won`t even install on 98 or below, let alone run. Anyone still using older MS OSs, don`t uninstall your AdAware or SBS&D just yet.

From the owner of a "vintage" computer that won`t run W2000, thanks for nothing Uncle Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Like all such products, it's easy to proclaim that they are wonderful programs simply because you have no way to tell 1) when it's messing up and 2) if it's causing problems. We've gotten used to blaming crashes on a driver, hardware, service pack, etc.

I'm always saddened when MS buys a company, says they are releasing the software for free, then waits for the competition to die out. A few years later the "pro" edition is available for $99.99 and the "home" edition is almost useless (but still free).

Just my 2 cents

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
Like all such products, it's easy to proclaim that they are wonderful programs simply because you have no way to tell 1) when it's messing up and 2) if it's causing problems. We've gotten used to blaming crashes on a driver, hardware, service pack, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

MS launched it as a BETA not "a wonderful program". I didn't see where anyone in this thread proclaimed it to be wonderful. We are just looking at it and sharing performance experience. I can tell when it has caused problems. It already has caused minor problems. All *** do.

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I'm always saddened when MS buys a company, says they are releasing the software for free, then waits for the competition to die out. A few years later the "pro" edition is available for $99.99 and the "home" edition is almost useless (but still free).

Just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft has stated that this is not their intent but, as I eluded to earlier; I can't help but keep an eye on this. My money is on that they won't. It would be a Bad move on their part. I could be wrong.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I have loaded the MS beta and it found stuff others didn't. Here is a fairly depressing article about how bad the best adware/spyware catching programs really are. (Scroll down to the Top Story)