C3 Switch Issue

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I recently bought a C3. The switch button has always seemed very stiff. So stiff, in fact, that it is difficult to hold the light on for any period of time while holding it in the "syringe" grip for which it was intended.

I was in a retail store today that sells Surefire, and happened to handle their C3 sample. The switch button was MUCH easier to hold down compared to mine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any hints on how I could loosen up the switch? Or is this a defect that requires a warranty replacement.

Thanks, all.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is a chance the TailCap could be jammed. With the TailCap removed from the flashlight the inner component featuring the spring contact should be quite easy to "jiggle" about (it is secured against falling out). If this has become jammed (perhaps over to one side) it could be causing what you are describing.

That onetime happened to me with a M3T TailCap (the same LOTC as your C3) when I attempted to screw the TailCap onto the body at an 'off' angle. I solved this by whacking the TailCap very hard against a hard flat surface a couple times.
You may not be confident to try this but it worked for me.

If you call SureFire on Monday I am sure they will take care of you likely by sending your a replacement TailCap

Please let us know how you get on.

Al

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Thanks for the help, Al. I think I may have figured it out.

I run this light on Pila 150S cells. The two 150s cells are slightly longer than 3 CR123 primary cells. I tried loading the light with CR123s, and switch felt the way it should. Clearly, the extra cell length is compressing the spring and increasing resistance.

It's probably something I'll just have to live with.

Thanks again!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could order a Z58 clickie for it. That way the spring tension in the button should be the same no matter what type of cells you are using.
I'm a big fan of the C3 with 150s too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, I think you are definitely a SF purist!
Thanks for all your helpful information! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif