3d mag mod

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I've seen mod's for the mini mags but do they make one for the 3d. Either making it brighter or led. keep it simple i'm not that mechanical.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there is the Mag85, but that is pretty hard to get since most of the parts are sold sepretly. I'd say it's the brightest flashlight for it's size though. 700-800 lumens out the front. It's crazy awsome.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Budgetwise, the Everled is probably the best deal going IMO. And it's as simple as it comes, all you've got to do is change bulbs. .

UVvis

Enlightened
Does anyone sell modified/better reflectors for the mag lights? I would really like something in a light orange peel to smooth out the beam.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcl2u, what do you mean? Like would the Everled be as good as one of those 32-LED dropins you see on Ebay? Yeah, it'd smoke one of those. It's using a Luxeon emitter, which is just going to smoke those as far as output.

There are going to be some differences, but according to FR, an Everled in a 2D Maglite gives an overall output of 17.4 and a 3D has an overall output of 23.5 - A 3C Tectite with 14 LEDs comes out to an overall output of 17 even, a smidgen less than a 2D Mag. The 3D smokes it.

Plus, you get the great parts of LED technology - extended runtime and no color fade. .

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh, UVvis, I forgot to answer your questions. There are better reflectors, but you'd probably be just as happy with an LDF lense. That's what I'd do. .

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
in terms of throw, the everled might smoke the 32 drop ins led. But in terms of total light output, the 32 drop ins can put more output than the everled.
Arc rated their Arc AAA at 2 ~ 3 lumens per led. So 32 leds can give out 64 lumens. The everled underdrives their led (too heat, no heatsinking there) and we can safely assume it is less than 350 mA to the luxeon. So max output cannot be 64 lumes. Probably a lot less.
Anyway, FR list the SL 7 LED as having 21.50 overall output (the non scientific total output) while the everled at 4 cell gives out 24.40. Well, add 25 more leds and which one is brighter, it is clear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway. I think it is a waste of money and time (though not much anyway) to just buy any of those drop ins like the everled and the 32 leds. I would rather order one of the Hotlips from hotbeam or the PTS (perfect tri sink) from modamag and make my own luxeon light. It is not as hard as it may seem at first. Once you get on it, it is as fun as it is rewarding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use 4 C cells in your 3D Mag and overdrive a 3 C/D cell krypton bulb. You can use the rubber fuel or radiator tubing from autoparts stores around the C cells to take up the extra space inside the battery tube. Sometimes it's a little tricky to screw the tail cap back on, but I've managed it without any mods at all on 3 of my 3D Mags. Very simple effective mod. You can also run 5 C cells in a 4D Mag too and overdrive a 4D krypton bulb. Works great.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as far as dirt cheap mods, I'm definately a fan of the 4 C cells in a 3D body overdriving a 3 cell krypton bulb.

davidra

Enlightened
Interesting. Any idea how the 4C/3D combo puts out compared to the 2C 3X123 mod with a GH24 (one would guess not as well given the lower voltage)? Are there any alternative bulbs for that mod?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
There probably are other bulbs, but you're still limited to how much voltage you've got. I suppose it could be made pretty close, but something is going to suffer, runtime of battery or life of bulb or something. .

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a 2D M*g with 3C stuffed in it and a white (slightly blueish) Everled. I run it through Writeright on the lense.

It puts out quite reasonable light. It gets VERY dark here, and I don't feel too bad with that light in my hand.

It is noticably better on 3 cells than on 2.

My favorite incandescent light before getting some several AA-D adapters and some superbulbs was a 3D M*g with 4 NiMH C cells and an Acrylite diffusing lense. I still keep it ready to rock even with an 1174 and a couple 6AA driving M*gcharger bulbed lights available!

The M*glite is a WONDERFUL platform for modifications!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of wonder about the runtime on the GH24 with 3 123 cells. I've never done a 100% start to finish runtime test on the KPR112/KPR113 bulb and 3 123s, but I'd roughly guess it's around an hour and a half. If the GH24 is considerably brighter (which I'm told it is, I've never used one) should the runtime not be considerably diminished?

And was it the GH24 that was said to be quite yellow even when overdriven?