Free Computer Associates EZ AntiVirus (1yr)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've used "Computer Associates EZ AntiVirus" for several years and have been pleased with it.

They are offering it free on their website (1 year's use) at the link in the above.

Make sure you write down your "EZAV License number" (you'll need it for installation) and keep a copy of your "confirmation e-mail" from them.

To complete installation, it will download the latest virus signatures (updated almost daily if you configure it to automatic download them) and scan a full scan of your system. Then you will be instructed to restart your system and you're good to go.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avast! and AVG are also some excellent AV software programs for a great price (free), in case some don't like EZAV's setup or features. .

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Typically when those I work with are having problems and tell me they aren't running any anti-virus (who would do that in today's world?)...I give them Avast or AVG. Yep, they are good as well!

Samoan

Enlightened
I'm on my second year of the free CA. Unlike Norton CA just makes sure they're sending the auth info to a different email. Norton checks the registry for an expired subscription.

-F

skillet

Enlightened
I use EZ at home and at work.. I really like it.. I doesnt HiJack your computer like some toher well know AV programs..(N***** or Mc*****)

Just my 2 lumens worth..

Skillet

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems to be the big difference, really. My dad's NAV subscription ran out the other day, and I loaded Avast for him. He called later asking what I'd done to make the system so much faster.

Where they really get you is the big suites of stuff, where you get AV, Firewall, Spyware Blockers, Popup Blockers, stuff like that. They hog system resources big time. Plus, there are great versions of all of the above for free, and if you appreciate them you can usually donate to them for their efforts. I personally dislike McAfee more than Symantec, as they tend to push their other products a lot more.