Hunter S. Thompson R.I.P.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The pioneer of "Gonzo Journalism", author of "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas", Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail, Hell's Angels...and a few others" committed suicide.

"MSNBC Link"

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
"He who makes a beast of
himself gets rid of the pain of
being a man."
-- DR. JOHNSON

Who will ride the Vincent Black Shadow now?

He'll see those bats soon enough,
FST

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I really enjoyed "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas"!! LMAO through the whole book!
He was certainly "unique"!

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
"The Rum Diary" is very good, imo. Underrated as literature. The vivid imagery and compelling story, kick it above the crowd as far as story telling goes.

Legend blends into myth now.

Fin

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
Ok Sigmon.

Don't expect it to be like the other HST books. It was his first book and he could not get it published until he became famous.

FST

Malpaso

Enlightened
He was great early on, but after reading some of the drivel he was posting on espn.com, I'm guessing the chemicals finally caught up with him.

Malpaso

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
You guys think he could have been a flash-a-holic had he seen the light?

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

HST did everything to the max. To him, a .44 magnum was marginal. If he had been into light, I'm guessing a bonfire the size of Rhode Island would have been more to his liking than a flashlight.

StuU

Enlightened
Credible sources have confirmed burning mattresses were often seen flying out the window of his compound in Aspen. Along with sporadic gun reports......

Malpaso

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
Credible sources have confirmed burning mattresses were often seen flying out the window of his compound in Aspen. Along with sporadic gun reports......

[/ QUOTE ]

In "Hells Angels, A Strange and Terrible Saga" he fully admits firing a S&W .44 magnum inside his San Francisco apartment.

PJ

Enlightened
Another good book if you can find it is " The Curse of Lono ".
He goes to Hawaii in the '80s to cover a marathon or something.
Not quite as wild as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but definitely HST.

hideo

Enlightened
yeah, .44 mags are loud inside, but it was a .45 auto that he used for his departure ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

somehow, I can't imagine him leaving the blue sphere any other way, but it still comes as a very sorry shock ... as an occasional freelancer myself, HT was one of several writers who warped my very conservative style borne of too much English Lit in college

I will be bowing to Greed-Head Land (Aspen--two hours on the highway to my left) where Thompson was either beloved or vehmently hated for his vocal opposition to the money-grubbing-development slime of that fair village

on the wings of Valkyries,

hideo