SNL Retrospective on NBC

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Managed to catch the last hour of the show about the first five years of Saturday Night Live. It sure brought back some great memories. Maybe it's just being an old fart, but those first years still seem the best. I just refuse to believe that I look as old as that first cast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yeah, I was checking out that as well. They sure looked young "30 years ago"!! Oh, wait...so did I!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pretty neat, "growing 30 years older" along with the show. I remember sooo many of those "classic skits". The show sure had it's ups & downs with cast changes.

Yep, I feel the early years were the best! A lot of actors/comedians sure launched their careers there!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My God, where has the time gone? I also miss the spirit of that era; society, in general, has lost much of its tolerance and sense of humor. Anger, meanness, and retribution have supplanted too much of past entertainment values.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Since it's about that time of the year again...

Chevy Chase:
Last week we made the comment that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. Now here to reply is our chief meteorologist, John Belushi, with a seasonal report.

John Belushi:
Thank you Chevy. Well, another winter is almost over and March true to form has come in like a lion, and hopefully will go out like a lamb. At least that's how March works here in the United States.

But did you know that March behaves differently in other countries? In Norway, for example, March comes in like a polar bear and goes out like a walrus. Or, take the case of Honduras where March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a salt marsh harvest mouse.

Let's compare this to the Maldive Islands where March comes in like a wildebeest and goes out like an ant. A tiny, little ant about this big.

[holds thumb and index fingers a small distance apart]

Unlike the Malay Peninsula where March comes in like a worm-eating fernbird and goes out like a worm-eating fernbird. In fact, their whole year is like a worm-eating fernbird.

Or consider the Republic of South Africa where March comes in like a lion and goes out like a different lion. Like one has a mane, and one doesn't have a mane. Or in certain parts of South America where March swims in like a sea otter, and then it slithers out like a giant anaconda.

There you can buy land real cheap, you know. And there's a country where March hops in like a kangaroo, and stays a kangaroo for a while, and then it becomes a slightly smaller kangaroo. Then, then, then for a couple of days it's sort of a cross between a, a frilled lizard and a common house cat.

[Chevy Chase tries to interrupt him]

Wait wait wait wait. Then it changes back into a smaller kangaroo, and then it goes out like a, like a wild dingo. Now, now, and it's not Australia! Now, now, you'd think it would be Australia, but it's not!

[Chevy Chase tries to interrupt him]

Now look, pal! I know a country where March comes in like an emu and goes out like a tapir. And they don't even know what it means! All right? Now listen, there are nine different countries, where March comes in like a frog, and goes out like a golden retriever. But that- that's not the weird part! No, no, the weird part is, is the frog. The frog- The weird part is-

[has seizure and falls off chair]

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malpaso -

Thanks. Yeah, I remember that.

F.T. and All -

I only caught a few minutes of it.

New stuff:

(Baker ref) Blue Oyster Cult, Behind The Music "More Cow Bell" was funny for some odd reason.

I find that I anticipate an Amy Poehler/Horatio Sans skit. "Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Riiiiiiick!" I just chuckle at it. No belly laughs. It's just sweet to see somebody's boyfriend being so tolerant of his girlfriend's energetic adolescant daughter. He always saves her.

Old stuff:

Too many to name. Bassamatic killed. At the time, it was so very unexpected.

Here's one that wasn't a belly-buster but rather amusing to me. Gilda Radner and Steve Martin "Dancing in the Dark". SNLtranscripts
77rdancing2.jpg

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love all the oldies and can't get enough of the reruns. But what the hell has happened to SNL the last year or two? It just plain sucks. I keep watching and watching thinking that something funny has to happen soon and it just doesn't. I don't think that there's been a dozen skits in that time frame that I've even laughed at. The only really good one has been the parrot.

The current music isn't - it's noise and annoying noise at that. I love political satire, but it's no longer satire, now it's an agenda.

The BOC cowbell was one of the best. Most of the ones with Walken are good. I absolutely despise Alec Baldwin, but he is really good on SNL. Schweaty balls was another classic.

I miss Will, Molly, Sherri, Tim, Tracy, Anna and Chris. Anyone else with an opinion of the current state of SNL?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed it through high school and beyond, although the past few seasons since will ferrel left they have been in repeats and not too funny. I think they hit their peak with Chris Farley, Kevin Nealmin, about the time Dennis Miller was axed from the nightly news segment. I also liked the other girls they had on.

MAD TV is not that bad either on fox. I also watch the replays of the better seasons on comedy central and E.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris Farley I think takes the cake. He was just funny standing there doing nothing. Reminds me of a prof I had for environmental science. He was just as fat. He pulled up his pants, retucked in his shirt every few minutes. It was rather fun to watch.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
One word...........COWBELL!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I need more cowbell. Explore the studio space. No, really. EXPLORE the SPACE.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

(If you haven't seen the sketch, you're probably thinking that we're nuts. It's hard to explain.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
I miss Will, Molly, Sherri, Tim, Tracy, Anna and Chris. Anyone else with an opinion of the current state of SNL?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they were always at their best when they did topical humor. Those sketches that they cook up out of nowhere (some of those fake "tv shows," for instance) are pretty weak though. Currently I only watch for the Weekend Update segment, although even that has lost some of it's edginess since Amy Pohler took over the co-anchor's chair. It was better when there was that male-female tension that they could play off of when they had a slow news week.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
(If you haven't seen the sketch, you're probably thinking that we're nuts. It's hard to explain.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not saying much coming from a guy who has a chip-munk as his avatar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif