Further modification,or up sum cash? I WANNA BURN!

deezdrama05

Enlightened
Hello all Ive been a lurcker here for some time but now I must speak. Any advice help will be appreciated. I got my first greenie about 2 weeks ago (leadlight 105 from vital spirit) I took her apart and found the pot hole was already in the plastic and the brass ring was already marked, I realigned it to confirm it was(it was) and cranked up the pot wich made it 3x brighter and thats all Ive done to modify it. My led meter reads 33mw using the 2.8 for my value. It is very bright at night but does and will not burn or melt any type of black plastic- Ive tried everything at point blank range for 45-60 sec. This tells me it has to be under 30mw. I really want my laser to be close to 45-50mw so I can smoke plastic objects and have a very nice beam. What should I do? sell it and try my luck with another leadlight? What kind of additional results can I get from a resistor mod? I tried shorting the pot for a quick second but noticed no difference in beam brightness. Ive also seen gas trapped diodes on ebay what benifits would one of these have? Any suggestions on if I should further try to increase my output or should I just shell out cash for gauranteed 40-50mw laser?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Do the resistor mod next (?)...I'm sure the others will chime in on this.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
What kind of results can I gain from the resistor mod? Could this ruin the laser if it cant handle the extra current?

DAZGREEN

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Ive been studying these forums very closley for the last few months regarding modding the 105.The highest powerd pointer i now have measures 342Ua on my fluke DVM which equates to 127mw? can this be possible? This started out as a 5mw unit which measured arroun 15-18 ua which equates to arround 6mw.The current draw is 690ma using 800 mah NI MH batteries at 1.34v each cell.This pointer can easily set fire to dark matches from two /three feet away in a matter of seconds and if you have got a dark tattoo it is very painfull from arround 6 feet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif and pops black balloons at quite a distance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.i have done the same mod to a nother pointer but the diode poped the first second it was on this was using duracell which where 1.6 volts new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.I have been using the one with rechargables for a month with no problems so far, as long as the voltage is no more than 1.5 volts each cell.I have even left in on for 4 minutes in the back of one of those cheap 3mw red laser shows(3mw 670nm removed ond discarded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)The results where quite outstanding in a bit of smoke,perhaps a bit to bright in a averaged sized room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifI know that the lifetime of the diode is proberly greatly reduced but for the sake of £35 incluing p&p is's worth every penny in my mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gifOn a final note,i know the led meter was accurate at 5mw but i don't think it is possible to get 127mw out of a bog standard 105,is there a point when the led meter can't take the extra power and gives a false reading?
All the best
great forum by the way, keeps me up all night

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
please can you tell me how you did this as all i can et out of mine is 20mw with the optics lined up and pot modded

DAZGREEN

Newly Enlightened
This mod is realy easy.Assuming you have a leadlight 105 or a pointer with the same driver board,locate the surface mounted resistor marked R500 its right near the diode legs.To tune the pointer to approx 50mw(on my one anyway)Either replace with a 0.25ohm resistor or place a half ohm resistor parallel with the R500 (0.5ohm)givivg a overall resistance of 0.25 ohm.If you want full power simply bridge the resistor or remove it and solder a link accross the contacts.These pointers realy do kick *** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifbut,and a big but,please only use re chargables ie, 1.2v to 1.4v fully charged because alkalines out of the pack can hit over 1.6v,and this,as i to well know,is to much voltage and can result in instant diode death /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.Please don't moan at me if your greenie dies.Its as simple as that.

Let me know how you get on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lasercrazy said:
If all you want to do is burn stuff then I'd advise you just buy a lighter...

[/ QUOTE ]

great idea! you just saved me from eviction, i can now use my rent money to pay for the rent, and buy me a lighter to burn stuff. forget about the green laser!!!

DAZGREEN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lasercrazy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better than that,Is it O.K.to use matches,Times are hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DAZGREEN said:
[ QUOTE ]
lasercrazy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better than that,Is it O.K.to use matches,Times are hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

even better idea!!! i can save me a dollar skip the lighter, get me some free matches to burn things, and now i can go to mickey d's and get me a dollar meal, a double cheese burger!!! boy this talk is making me hungry!!!

DaFiend

Enlightened
Heh heh, but if you want to splurge, and still need your greenie hit, you can get one of those windproof lighters with a green flame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fusionman

Newly Enlightened
DAZGREEN, for your mod on the .5 ohm resistor, how did you arrive at that? I was going to do the stage 3 mod on the pot resistors. I remember trying some things with that R500 resistor when i had i taken apart and I got a large increase in power but could not seem to replicate it.

Do you know the measured current you were running through it?

DAZGREEN

Newly Enlightened
Bye trial and error and luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The overall current draw is 690ma.mine has been used loads for the last month and still going strong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .I also tried shorting the pot, but this mod(R500 mod) seems to give a higher output with less heating to the diode.

fusionman

Newly Enlightened
690 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif.

Awesome, I so want to try this now. How far did the .25 ohm set back the power. Would that be a safer value than just removing the resistor?

deezdrama05

Enlightened
ok so all I need to do is go to radio shack and find a .25 ohm resister? Is there any other specifications (of the resistor)I should know before I go buy it? wouldnt dropping the volts from 1.5 to a rechargeables 1.2 volt just nullify the point of this mod ? Or is it basically trading a loss of voltage for a gain in current? I dont know im not an advanced electronics person but I guess it makes since since the diode is getting more current. So how much current does a greenie put out just pot modded? And how much will it put out with the resistor swap? Thanks every1. By the way I have a lighter but I wont see a beam come from it unless I tape the button down,light it and shoot it out of a 90 story building. And i wanna light my cigarettes with my 100 dollar leadlight :mad:

deezdrama05

Enlightened
So do I just go to radio shack and buy a .25 resistor?Are there any other specifications I should know about the resistor I need before I go buy one? Doesnt dropping the voltage from a 1.5v battery to a 1.2v rechargeable nullify the whole purpose of this mod? Basically its exchanging a drop in voltage with a gain in current. I guess it makes since the diode is getting more current. How much current is a laser with just the pot mod pumping out? And how much current will it push with the .25 resistor?Thanks every1.
By the way I have a lighter but I wont see a green beam come from it unless I eat a bag of shrooms , tape the lighter button down,light it, spin around in circles and throw it off the roof :mad:

deezdrama05

Enlightened
sorry about the double post my internet explorer froze as I was submiting it and didnt check if it went through b4 retyping.