How to get Arc AAA gut out?

moraino

Enlightened
My newly modded Dorcy AAA is way briter than my Arc AAA LE with new battery.

Can some kind soul point me to the thread that shows how to get the guts out of the Arc head? Is it possible to replace the led with the 26000mcd led without hurting the Epoxy potted circuit? TIA.

Henry

greenLED

Flashaholic
As with the Infinity Ultra, I understand the circuit and base of the LED in the ArcAAA is potted in epoxy. Not very practical to do the LED exchange. Briefly, you have to pry open the crimp, then heat the head (boiling water, torch, or heat gun), and then push the "pill" out the back. Then you'd have to remove the epoxy, etc. Maybe others have different suggestions.

moraino

Enlightened
GreenLED, thaks for the reply.

I was aftraid to hear that. I recalled someone long ago said the same thing. I guess it's either I keep them the way they are or sell them thru eBay.

As to those 26000mcd LEDs, they are bright with the same current draw and whiter. I believe Proton is going to be 60 lumen, just look at these little 5mm.

Henry

djpark

Enlightened
As greenLED suggested, first, open the crimp, then the easiest way I find is to keep the head in the boiling water for a while and push the led from the top with something not sharp such as plastic (ball pointed pen tip). The storage temperature of the parts are higher than water boliling point and it is safe.

Once the circuit is out, grind the epoxy from the top carefully towards bottom, a hand dripp such as dremel is helpful.

There is an o-ring around led at the top of epoxy. I believe it was used to block the epoxy flowing out to the front side of head. It can be used back to keep the water getting in to the circuit.

About 35-40% down, you will reach the led leads. Old board has a cap attached to the leads and the new board has cap on the pcb. You can cut off the led and solder a new one now. Try to keep the same height of the led from the pcb.

Then you can cover the led leads with some epoxy to strengthen the joints and put back the o-ring to led bottom. If you want to make it back to the cylinder shape, wrap with tape and pour in the epoxy. After hardening, use a cutter to shape it. But this is not really necessary.

Put it back to the head and press back the crimp and it is done.

-- dj

djpark

Enlightened
I haven't opened an Infinity yet. But the led leads in Arc boards are stright down a little and bent to connect to the edge of the board.

Here is an Arc-AAA board modified to fit in Mini-Mag-AAA body.

arc-head-in-mag-aaa.jpg

After the pill was pulled out of the Arc head, the upper portion was cut off and the led replaced with DJLED (MJLED compatible) to take advantage of the reflector and also to let higher current. With 3V input, it flows over 100mA to led. I will post this mod soon.

Just wanted to show that the Arc-AA/AAA pill can be modified to fit else where, or put back to the original head.

-- dj

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently de-gutted an Arc AAA to change out a Turquoise LED for a 26K one. As was mentioned above: uncrimp, heat(boil) and remove the potted contents by pushing on the LED. Use the hot water to soften the epoxy and slowly pick it away (don't use too much force). Carefully remove the LED (without bending the legs) so it can be used as a guide to reform the legs of the replacement LED. Here's the link to my mod.

Paul