Going for Canoeing trip NEED LIGHT

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
This June/July my troop and another sister-troop are going for a canoeing trip to Boundary Waters. The trip will take 5 days, most of which will take place on the water.

Right now I am planning on bringing:
- Inova X5 ( In tent light, emergency light)
- G2 + p61 ( blind-the-attacking-bear light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
- Surefire E1L (EDC)
- Surefire E2e (Some extra throw!)
- Cheap almost-no-name headlight (camping light)

Now what.... I think I might need some flood (Surefire Flood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
What I am considering:
- Surefire L2
- Surefire L1
- Surefire A2 (not necessarily flood, just love the light)
- Surefire L4 ( My bro has it.. dont really want the same light)
OPEN TO MORE IDEAS!

-tom

Thanx in advance for all comments.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
I think, you should take at least one submersible light with you...
My suggestion:
Peli Sabre Lite
Princetontec Surge
UK 4AA (diveable to 4 meters)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Inova X5... It is submersible to ~100 meters... I wont need it to go any deeper..
Thank you for the reply. I will look into them.

-tom

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifOh, you planed to use it in the tent...I hope your feet aren't getteing too wet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find an LED headlamp very handy when camping. You can get inexpensive LED headlamps at WalMart or other similar stores that will do an adequate job.

-Keith

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would do that.. But everytime I go somewhere and have my batts in plastic.. IT tears! I am willing to spend the 16 dollars for a spares carrier..

-tom

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Eternalight EgroMarine is nice. Waterproof, floats with lithium cells, dimmable, emergency flasher, SOS, 40 - 2,800 hour battery life, nice night light for a tent.

elite4mt.jpg

http://www.techass.com/el/elm3m/elm3m.php

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
$40.00
It looks abit cheap.. I dont mean to offend any dealers.. but it looks like if i were to drop it.. the PASTIC would chatter or chip.. Thats my first impression.. It could be the toughest light of all time for all I know..

-tom

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Believe me, it's tough. It's made of ABS plastic. Read the statement of durability here:

http://www.techass.com/el/eldropin.php

"The eternaLight Model 3 - "Ergo":
The model 3 has been made with a thicker housing than the Model 2 and is held together with 4 screws rather than two. This already gives the unit a huge durability advantage over the model 2. As a deliberate test, a single model 3 with alkaline batteries was turned on and repeatedly rebounded off plywood roof eight feet in the air and then onto a concrete sidewalk 8 times before the case cracked open due to a broken stud. The electronics were fully functional on 7 of the 8 times. On the 7th time, the unit lost the ability to be turned off.

The eternaLight Model 3M - "Ergo marine":
This unit is the same housing as the model 3 above. However, its lighter weight should enable it to survive falls better than the model 3 tested above."

Read a review here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/eternalight_ergomarine.htm

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I'll second Photonboy's recommendation of the ErgoMarine.

What happens when one of those expensive Surefires goes overboard? Not to bring up a sore subject, but you already lost one Surefire, didn't you?

I use an Ergo Marine-Elite on my boat (if you insist on spending more $$$), and my son has been using his standard Ergo Marine on his night-fishing adventures.

Besides, you'll be able to entertain your friends with the flasher, strobe, and dazzle modes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In any case, it looks like you will be well prepared for the dark. Do scouts still have "snipe hunts" on campouts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JB

paulr

Flashaholic
I think I'd bring one of those 6 volt floating lanterns instead of an Ergomarine. More conventional and a lot more throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx.. Yes i did lose my L1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I WILL be purchasing some Lanyards/Spares Carriers for all of my lights. I can not risk losing another of my treasures...

I would consider the ErgoMarine... BUT:
- Its a bit small and I might displace it (float around the canoe)
- To change batteries with a screwdriver is tedious
- I NEED ALLOT of flood. I will be on some of the largest lakes in the US and I would like to see outside of the Canoe.
- I buy 123s ALLOT.. I have a stockload of the 123s.
- The LEDs stick out of the light.. If they were to slam onto the side of the canoe they are gone.
LAST: I have been saving some money for a Surefire and really trust the company..

Yes snipe hunts are still commonly used in scouts. From my last troop they used a stuffed boar as the Snipe.. It was cool!

-tom

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
What ever you bring, make sure you've got something to keep you batties dry. I use Pelican caes 1010~1060.

chiphead

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Go ahead and find a good price on a Princeton Tec Aurora Head Lamp. Three AAA batteries in a light weight, long running package. There are more expensive and newer head lamps out there, but, this one still does the job quite nicely.

rgc