SL 4AA 7 LED with NiMH? ...not now.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this posted on another thread:

Originally posted by W4DIZ:
I just got my SL4AA7led last week from brightguy.
This one has a resistor across the + & - terminals.it is located in the bottom of the lamp ***.I have heard that the earlier ones did not have it,but I am not sure about that.I am tempted to take it out,but I think I will wait and see what others have to say about that.Some have said that the tps is hard to activate,this one is very easy to activate with the thumb.Maybe Sl has change this also.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Anyone got an idea if this very nice LED light would now be safe to run with NiMH (a must for me!)?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can use NiMH. They actually draw less power from NiMH than from fresh alkalines. I measure about 630 ma and 5.5 volts from fresh alkalines. 520 ma and 5.0 volts from fully charged NiMH. The LED's appear to have 12 ohm resistors in series with them.

I guess this is the poor man's LGI. Half the price, but half the lumens? I guess not, but still impressive.

I wonder how long those poor LEDs will last at this power level?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should add that the NiMH I used have been sitting around for a few days since they were charged. If you use NiMH directly from the charger you will get more power for a few minutes.
I'm guessing they won't put out more than alkalines though. The most voltage I've gotten from NiMH fresh from the charger is 1.4 volts.
That would be 5.6 volts to the flashlight versus 5.5 from alkalines. And the NiMH would probably drop below 1.4 volts very quickly under such a load.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a email reply from Streamlight sales...they are still saying NiMH is not recommended.