Surefire G2 vs Streamlight Twin-Task

cia

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Streamlight Twin-Task Led/Xenon(2-cell) this weekend.

I paid about the same price as I did for the Surefire G2.

I have only had it for a few day's and I will put it to the test at work this week.

So far I would have to say Surefire has some good competition.

This question is for the people that have both the Surefire G2 and the Twin-Task LED/Xenon (2 cell).

What one do you find more useful?

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I've got the 6Z and TT. I use the 6Z strictly for serious purposes. The TT is my favorite "play" light and I find myself consistently reaching for it. Yes, SF has some good competition. That said, I'm choosing a 9P over a TL-3 after loooong consideration. The 9P is gonna replace the 6Z.

davidra

Enlightened
I have both. The output of the G2 is significantly greater than the TT 2L. What I don't like about the G2 is the fact it doesn't have a lockout, so I tried several different mods to make a clicky....all worked but not for long, so I ended up buying a Surefire clicky. Works great, but pricey. I keep the G2 in my garage and car for intense light. I keep my TT next to the bed. The incan isn't great, but it's more than adequate, and as much as I like my A2, I like the output of the TT LED's a little better than that of the A2. They're both great lights. The TT is a little more versatile.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got both here too... and like Davidra i find the TT more useful than the G2. Well, ok, partly cos the G2 sucks up batteries like nobody's business... The TT resides in my car glove box and G2 on my nightstand (to check on things that go 'bump' in the night), but I find that I still can't resist the urge to pull out the TT every now and then just to play with it... err... check on the batteries that is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, thats my personal preference anyways, mostly due to battery life, until I get my hands on one of those 3W dropins for the G2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twin-Task, a great name for the light.

Has a good incandescent beam, not as bright, or as focused as a SF G2/SL Scorpion, but enough for the vast majority of tasks.

Lonnggg run time with the 3/LEDs.

I too pass on the high output Xenons for routine use (have a zillion of them), but the Twin-Tasks just keep doing the job.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as above. I think the TT is closer to the A2, though. I wish there was a switch on the TT that was closer to the A2, that would be sweet. .

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and I found the TT more useful for work, as the batteries last longer, but the P61 makes the G2 more fun to use. Lots of light in a little package. It stays in my right jacket pocket. VIP in left. TT2L in pants pocket during work hours. (I work at night)

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Have both. Found the TT is more used because it can be used up close. Bounceback from the G2 was just too intense for up close work. I did try the F24 beamshaper for the G2, but it was annoying to pop the filter up when I wanted distance. I also didn't like the way the nubs cut into my side when it was belt holstered.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different lights for different uses. I've got both (G2 and TT) as well, but seldom use the SL TT. IMO the SL TT is more or less a poor man's Surefire A2, not a competitor for the G2 in anything except price. The Surefire puts out a much more powerful beam of light with a more "perfect" beam, but uses up batteries a lot faster. I'm sure if I didn't have three different Surefire 2-stage lights (A2, L1, L2) I would use the Streamlight Twin Task light more, but it just isn't up to the build quality of the Surefire lights, but for what it is, it is a great little inexpensive light.

-Keith

davidra

Enlightened
It's definitely not up to the Surefires, but being a poor man's A2 is not bad. The A2 is a great bedside light, assuming you sleep in the dark, and I assume a great cockpit light. It's my best light. Only problem is that with any ambient light, the LEDs are too dim to use it for walks. The TT LED's have a much greater output and in my neighborhood work perfectly well for a walking light.

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the G2 but have played with it

I'm not really a torch nut but like to have good tools. The TT is the better all rounder and so works well for me. I use the bulb for when I've lost something at night and the LEDs the rest of the time.

I think I made the right choice but if I wanted it for things that go bump I'd prefer the G2. Then again if it was for that I'd jump in and mod a maglight

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's all been said above.

I have a TT2L (and a 1L) drilled to accept a Kroll. When I carried the 2L as EDC, I left it in LED mode and used the Kroll. At least 75% of the time that was enough light. Having a Xenon bulb a couple clicks away was bonus!

The G2 is WAY brighter and WAY better of beam. It (and the PM6) are battery HOGS however.

I always go back to the minim*g shape however, and EDC a Lambda 3W pilled mini with a Kroll. Never have I seen a better light for my needs!

We need some more reporting on the 3W drop in for a P60... That might make a very usefull G2...

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the plastic bodies of the G2 and Maxfire handle the heat dissipation for a 3w LED drop in?