Has anybody seen this Luxeon Star light on eBay?

Gandalf

Enlightened
Luxeon Star Collimator Lite Flashlight -NEW!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1982538868

It uses 3 AAA cells, and sels for $35 plus shipping of $4.

No mention is given on water resistance; and given the claimed burn time of 2 to 3 hours, I'm assuming unregulated current, with the light dimming pretty fast after the first 30 minutes or so....?

Still, it's nice to see another Luxeon Star on the mass market, at an affordable price....don't know about using 3 AAA alkalines for the power hungry Luxeon Star.
icon3.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks pretty rugged... Seen someone posted it somewhere... i am surprise that it can last 2-3 hours...if that guy didn't use a resistor, the battery would be pumping around 500 to 600 ma through the LS?

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's unregulated, water/splash resistant, but not waterproof. The manufacturer has made quite a few design changes since an early prototype model was reviewed on Craig Johnson's site in September (the O-ring seats were revised, rubber tailcap switch boot, and the battery carrier is cast in an acrylic plastic rather than nylon to match closer tolerances.) The 2~3 hour figure is what the manufacturer has quoted (I personally haven't tested this yet.)

The LS is being driven at approximately 520mA (depends on the type/brand of batteries used, YMMV).

Yes, it's very rugged. The flashlight uses a fairly thick walled aluminum. It's definitely thicker than the mini-mags.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks nice, but that's a heck of a drain for 3 AAAs. A slightly larger version using AA would be nice.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I got mine today and I have to say I am impressed. It is definitely brighter than my Surefire KL1s with one 123. The color is not as nice, but total light output is amazing for this size LED light. The push button is a little loose (side to side), but not too much. It is mechanical without the momentary on ability.

I can't figure out why anyone would use the rubber cap.

There is a donut ring in the beam around the hotspot, almost like epoxy or something. That is the only thing that keeps the beam from getting excellent marks.

I did the ol walk-the-dog test. The Collimator is way more useful than the KL1 and the "donut is not noticeable.

I don't know how the runtime will be and don't have the patience to find out. Maybe someone else can do that.
John

Catdaddy

Enlightened
UPDATE!

I showed my wife the little torche and she proclaimed "That's the one I want from now on when I walk". Her previous light was/is the Surefire 6R. Go figure...?

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Just a thought.... Mr Bulk, this little guys is just begging for an LGI modified head. The 4.5 volts should be just right, I think.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look a review of an earlier version of this light in the "Reviews" forum.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
This looks like a direct driven Luxeon with standard NX05 optics, correct? Or is there a resistor in the path?

Too many flashlights but one too many wife :)

- Vikas

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it`s the same as the powder-blue one, it`s direct drive and uses, unusually, proprietary optics. They use a bare hexagonal Star that sits down in a metal cup, and the "Aitec" branded collimator/holder fits round it. The positive contact is connected to the heatsink board, while the negative comes out as a little contact on the side of the plastic collimator-holder.

Why they`re using propriatery optics, I don`t know. The centering isn`t great, so I can only hope they improved things in the latest iteration of their light. I might try one sometime, and see....

grin.gif