Surefire Executive Defender Question

D

dmanny

I am looking to purchase a surefire Executive Defender for travel. My question is, because this is also a type of personal protection weapon, is this legal (allowed) for commercial air travel? I saw no mention of a problem on the Surefire site and also no posts in the search of this site. Any input is appreciated!

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
You would risk losing your E2D if you did take it on a flight. The risk is pretty minimal, however. It just depends if the screener pays attention to it and considers it dangerous.

I wouldn't depend on it as a self-defense tool. Under an actual physical attack nothing short of blunt force or extreme pain will affect the attacker due to the "chemical cocktail" of hormones active in humans during such conditions.
That said, I do carry a kubaton. It's simply there as one of my many defense options but is not one I would choose in most situations.

As far as carrying it on a plane, I think an E2D is more likely to pass than a kubaton... despite the fact it could cause more damage (at least superficially).

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Dmanny.

It will depend on where you are flying and your destination. I did have experience flying with the E2D, but never to/from the US.

One time, a security officer(not in US) did question 'an object looks like flashlight' but I simply said it wasn't a US flight(which wasn't anyway)and he just let me go.

And depending on which country you plan to go, some items such as kubotan or pepper spray are legally prohibited(which will rule out SL batonlight or Tigerlight).

I think most of the time, so as long it does not look like a club(Maglite 6C, for ex) or have sharp edges, it should be fine in a carry on bag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif