Collecting 50 State Quarters

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm collecting them. I'm trying to maintain 5 sets and I need to go through my pile now and get rid of $30-40. I've got one "book."

When I pay for stuff, I always give the right amount of change to force the return of quarters.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
When I pay for stuff, I always give the right amount of change to force the return of quarters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you just go to the bank and ask them for a bag of quarters? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure you can. I did that when I was a kid with pennies. It was a big deal to be able to buy one or two rolls of pennies. It's more fun this way now.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally buy a Silver proof of them every year from the mint, so I have a silver mint set of all that have come out.

doug

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like I'm missing only the Wisconson and California D quarters. I only have 5 of the P mint quarters though. How about you guys? Are the P mint hard to find?

Also how do you hold/store them? Is there a nice booklet or?

Must be pretty sweet to have them all directly from the mint so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to get a set of these for the US map displays that I picked up for my GF and me. Living overseas though has made it almost impossible. No one was snagging quarters for me past a few months into the request. I didn't even get back to the US last year quick enough to get a roll of Texas quarters to give as souvenirs when I travel. It's been frustrating to say the least.

-LT

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I have the whole set. I think by the time the quarters for the last states come out we'll have a few new states /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (i.e. Puerto Rico, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine). There's also talk of making quarters for the territories.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
From what I understand, they are minted in Delaware and Pennsylvania, with the latter being pretty hard for me to find.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, they are minted in Denver and Philadelphia

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clarifying that Alpha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's been a while since I looked that up. The Philadelphia minted ones are hard to find in northern California, at least for me. I was wondering if it is a regional thing and if people on the east coast etc have an easier time finding them.

BTW how much does it cost to get them directly from the mint when they come out? And can you still get all of them from the mint? Or just recently issued ones.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad collects them. He has every one availabale at this point in time including each state quarter from the Dener Mint and the Phily mint. Is there anyone else out there that tries to get them from both mints? It's distinguishable by the little D or P on one of the sides.

CromaqNet, yes, there are booklets with spaces and everything floating around to collect these quarters. A simple Google search would probably bring up a lot of stuff.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The different designs are interesting, but I try to get rid if my change as quickly as possible. I don't quite understand why the mint in encouraging the collecting of quarters. Doesn't that take the money out of circulation and therefore defeat its purpose? Don't they just have to make more which also costs more?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I don't quite understand why the mint in encouraging the collecting of quarters. Doesn't that take the money out of circulation and therefore defeat its purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

The mint sells uncirculated coins for more than face value, in kits, with displays, etc. You can buy all kinds of money from the mint for more than it's value.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOH I collect these. I just need Wisconsin to be up to date with all state quarters so far. I do come across Wisconsins often, but they are all scratched up so I just use them or leave them alone. I check my parents wallets periodically. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Also, I am trying to find those new nickels. Anyone else after those? The new nickels where one has a boat, the other has two hands shaking.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen those nickels Mags, didn't think anything of it though.

Something else I want to mention about the Phily-Denver mint thing: The Denver ones are VERY hard to find (I imagine Phily ones are harder to get on the west coast) on the east coast. Yet, my dad has them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um I thought the San Francisco minted coins were rare?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe. sure I have one. got 10 million? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif