New way of cooling the 5 watt LS

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's very small though... but since they said that the conductivity is better than just a copper block.... that really gives some idea about cooling. I see a potential 10 watt cooling device using this... not to mention 20 watts. Remember guys, the computer industry has heatsinks to cool 80 watters in a 1 cm square area to a cool 50 degrees constant for a long time now... I say we should borrow a bit of their technology rite?

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Like we borrowed Arctic Silver 2/3 and epoxies?
Like we borrowed PWM power-supplies? (Dat2zip's BadBoys and the MadMax)

Like my Golden Orb CPU cooler, reborn as part of a 1wLS emergency light?
grin.gif

Some of use are computer-geeks, and have been looking at these things. If I still had my socket370 waterblocks, I'd try watercooling a 5w LS with a radiator outside (current temp: 22 F) and see if the light 'plateau' is thermally related. (LS's seem to max out light output @ 2x spec amperage. Anything over that tends to be converted to heat.)

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. I used a huge heat pipe in a solar-photovoltaic experiment for my thesis. Also used methanol, or rather, methylated spirits as it was cheap and easily available. Without the heat pipe we burnt the silicon chip almost immediately. We couldn't even measure the temperature as the thermocouple burnt out as well. With the heat pipe, things were cooler at a mere 60degC. This is with about the equivalent of 500 suns focused on it.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah! 500 suns! What the **TOOT* were you doing for an experiment? Burining the silicon chip using what?