Help me choose a flashlight

Gryffin

Enlightened
OK, here's the deal...

Part of my EDC kit is a Leatherman Charge or Wave in the new leather Wave sheath. This sheath has double elastic on the sides, creating a couple of handy slots into which you can carry a couple small items. A small flashlight seemed like a natural use.

First I tried an old 1xAAA MagLite Solitaire; it fit beautifully, but I don't need to tell you how little light that thing generates.

Next, I bought a 1xAA Inova X1; lot more output, but I didn't care for the "looking through a porthole" beam. The X1 is also about as big as will fit in that sheath, and in fact was long enough to interfere with drawing/stowing the Leatherman tool.

Currently, I have a new 1xAAA, 3 LED Peak Matterhorn in there. Size is right, light is good, but what I'd really like is output comparable to, say, my Nuwai Q-III. (Before you ask, I tried, it won't fit.) I think I can do better.

Which is where you guys come in. What light will give me the most light, with normal sidespill, and fit into 3"-3.5" and 0.5"-0.75" diameter? I'd prefer it to use batteries I normally stock, namely AAA, AA or CR123, but I can be flexible.

Thanks in advance!

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mind waiting a bit?
If so, check out the new LRI proton; runs on a single AA and supposedly has a very impressive output.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Yeah, I saw the write-up on the Proton. Might suit me very well, although I'm not sure of the dimensions. Any idea when it's supposed to hit the streets?

Gryffin

Enlightened
Whoops, I *did* have the dimensions. Just about perfect. Now I just need for it to be available...

So, besides pie-in-the-sky lights that may or may not be released, anything else out there that meets my criteria?

Gryffin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
how about a Luxeon-based Soli mod pill by LED_ASAP?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few references to those, but no prices or links. How much, and where do I get one?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno if it'll fit, but how about the Tektite Splashlite Led? Its small and bright, runs 1x123 for about 7-8 hrs (IIRC), brighter than an Ultra G as well! And you can also use it to suck your used 123s dry...

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could likely fit a Fire~Fly in there... check the Sandwich Shoppe for available parts. It is about 2.75" long by .815" dia, and is quite bright. It runs on a 123, so it does fit your criteria. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif