Is this a Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeza_006

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Phoenix but I am not sure if it is the correct power. I previously posted this on the wicked lasers forum, but it got removed. They always remove negative posts.

Here is a picture of it, and the camera is directly above the laser to make the beam show as much as possible. The beam is visible, but extremely faint.

Here's another one - and i'm still trying to show the beam as much as possible. This time it is even fainter, because in the previous picture it was in a darker area of the room.

From just a slight angle the beam is completely invisible:

Compare the previous picture to another person's phoenix at an angle:

http://img238.exs.cx/img238/6113/phoenix208cc.jpg

With the lights off at close range the beam is still invisible:

This is someone else's phoenix:

http://img213.exs.cx/img213/8922/phoenix59li.jpg

And mine again with the lights off:

And someone else's with the lights on from the same angle:

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/4108/pnoenixbright0dd.jpg

I have asked the person who has the other phoenix and he assures me that the photos show the beam as he sees it.

It is advertised as, "The beam is extremely visible in all lighting and atmospheric conditions except daytime sunlight"

So is my laser really a phoenix? It doesn't look like it does it?

http://www.wickedlasers.com/gallery.php?var=57 - No chance!

I emailed Chris, and he said:, "I assure you it is the correct power," and " the visibilty of the beam depends on the water vapor, not just if the lights are on"

I know the visibility varies but the beam from my phoenix with the lights on is invisible unless you are directly behind it.
At night it is very bright and goes as far as you can see but so does any laser that is 30mw+ or even less.
What should I do...
I value everyone's feedback and advice

Thanks, Jez

liteglow

Enlightened
Re: This was removed from the Wicked Lasers forum.

try to burn a black electric tape, to se how many second it takes to make a hole in it!
That`s the only way i know howto compare your laser against mine "5mW modded" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It take 2 second to make smoke, after 5-6 second there is a hole in the black tape !

DarkLight

Enlightened

Or you can do the green led meter trick if you can measure ua....take reading and divide by 2.8 to get mw...

jeza_006

Newly Enlightened

I forgot to say that I've tried that many times but could not get it working.

Jez

LaserMod

Enlightened

Speaking of the LED test... I tried it with my PGL-III this evening. The meter peaked at 565.

Hmmm, thats just over 200mw.

About right I think considering the speed the needle on my meter goes to the limit and then wraps itself around the limit pin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LaserMod

Enlightened

Not very accurate though as just tilting the LED even slightly offsets the reading by a couple of hundred. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Do you still want yours testing jeza_006?

DarkLight

Enlightened

personally I think it looks weaker than my laser.

Enigmahack

Newly Enlightened

I'll be the first to admit that Chris has a brilliant selling scheme... But the thing is that honestly is DOES really depend on the lighting conditions, humidity, if the laser is pointed towards or away from you, dust particles, smoke, steam, etc...

Most of the pics that you'll see are over exposed, and have smoke in the room. Makes sense to me as well!

On that same note it IS misleading sometimes because people expect a "40mW LIGHT SABER EXTREME ULTRA CUTTING LASER DISTROYER PROGRESSIVE POLKA ACTION MACHINE!!!1!111oneone!11"
I'm in the maritimes in Canada *Nova scotia, I live RIGHT on the water* and there are times that I can barely see the beam. Outside. At midnight. With no moon. And mine has the IR filter on and will burn holes through electrical tape.

Is it frustrating? Sure. Is it misleading? Definitely. Is it something we just have to deal with unless you get a 100+ mw laser? Sucks, but yes.

The thing is that I guarentee that in the summer, it'll be WAY more visible here for me - there's absolultey 0 humidity, *well, more like 15%* but it's still really low and around -15 celcius.

If it makes you feel any better, most pics that he's showing, you'd basically have to have a 200mw laser to ACTUALLY get a decently bright beam from in low conditions, and even then it's still not always going to be a solid green like it's showing in his pics.

It's okay man. The honest best way to tell *cheaply* is if you can get those green leds and a decent multimeter. The explination is above.

Another possibility that I've been considering are solar panels *the little ones from calculators*
I'd be interested in seeing how the power conversion works on those badboys... just my personal idea anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bond007

Newly Enlightened

Well said Enigmahack, visibly the lasers can be dissappointing if you expect too much of them, especially if the humidity in the room just isn't right.

I have my PGL3 with my right now and although the room is "quite" well lit, it feels quite humid in here and I can see the beam without any problem whatsoever. On the other hand, I messed about with it in my bedroom last night, I leave my bedroom window open all the time so it is quite chilly and fresh in there. In dim light, even with a 190mw unit, the beam was only just visible.

I think from looking at the pictures, 80mw looks about right. The dot looks very intense and full if you like.

Whenever I feel any doubts with lasers I compare them to other old models. I got my PGL3 only yesterday and when I compared it to my keychain red for example (yes I STILL have one lol) it's amazing and quite insulting to the PGL3 that the two things share the same name "laser".

jeza_006

Newly Enlightened

I'm probably wrong, and it is 80mw, but I still want to have it tested. I'll go to the post office on saturday, so I'll send it to you on monday LaserMod.

Thanks everyone, Jez

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Correct Power?

jeza_006 ... please edit your thread title, it is not acceptable to discuss other forum's problems in this one as it might cause flames and disruption here. The question is valid though.

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernhard

jeza_006

Newly Enlightened
Re: Correct Power?

Ok, changed. But a few things:
I was asked by another CPF member to post my problems with wicked lasers to alert other consumers. Don't you think other people should be told about problems with a company that they might be buying from?
That was at least the 5th post I've put on there that has just simply been removed. No bad language, no insults, no mods, nothing forbidden. I just thought other people people should know how they always delete posts on their forum without even asking you to change it or giving you reasons why.

Jez

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Jez ... yes, information is valuable.
BUT ... we are not washing dirty laundry of other forums here in order to avoid the fires spilling over to CPF. Keep it there, those are the problems of other people in another forum, and not ours..
For bad purchase experiences we have a Cheers'n'Jeers section where you can post your negative experiences, but make sure to read the forum-rules sticky first.

bernhard

P.S.: thanx for editing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.P.S.: just a hint ... not every advise from some forum members is worth considering ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jeza,
Our forum is not appropriate for private transaction issues, our forum users don't want to hear about shipping questions all the time. I've given an option for you to send the laser back to China so we could retest it , but you didn't want to pay for the postage. We even told you we will pay for postage both ways if it is under 80mW.

SuperBert

Enlightened

jeza, i think wicked is right... why not spend a couple extra bucks to make sure you got what you paid for, and if you are right, you arent out a dime..?

jeza_006

Newly Enlightened

What's wrong with asking other people's opinions on my laser. That is nothing to do with the transaction.
I'm sending it to LaserMod instead, because he lives in England as well. I'll tell you the power as soon as I find out.

Jez

Empath

Flashaholic

It sounds like you've got your plans made, Jez, and will have your question answered. As far as this forum or thread being used as a means of transactional dispute/resolution, it's not going to happen. That aspect can be handled by email or PM. Any warnings or praises of a vendor can be handled in the Cheers'N'Jeers forum.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.