U-boat Mystery

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you enjoy reading about scuba diving, U-boats, WWII history, and the solving of a real mystery you might check out the book Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. I came across it in the library the other day and couldn't put it down. It's the true story of primarily two divers who made it their life to identify a U-boat they found off the New Jersey coast. I had little idea of the difficulties and dangers involved with diving at 200 ft. depths in the open ocean, especially 10-15 years ago when special breathing gases were not commonly used. The book also delves a bit into life aboard a U-boat and how precarious it was. This story was apparently covered a few years ago in a Nova program called "Hitler's Lost Sub", and may have been talked about on a History Channel show called Deepsea Detectives, which is hosted by the main character in the book, John Chatterton. The other diver, Richie Kohler has cohosted the same show. Altogether a very interesting read, at least if you haven't seen the TV shows. I'm sure it's probably ancient history to you divers out there.

Geoff

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great book you should also read "The Last Dive". It is about a father and son that died trying to identify the U Who the do talk about them a bit in Shadow Diver but not very well.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vaguely recall that. I think they lost radio contact cause of equipment problems or was running out of fuel or something. They were diesel electric for you ev guys.

J_Oei

Enlightened
Shadow divers is great. A little too basic if you are a hardcore diver, as the narrator spends way too much time trying to explain diving to non-divers.
I got it as an audiobook and listened to it on my iPod.
Makes you wonder about what other "fishing spots" are out there.