Anyone seen this 11watt LED light yet? 550 Lumens?

MikeF

Enlightened
I have one of these IDX X3-Lites ordered, and it should be in by the end of the month. It will be powered from the power tap on my Sony Camcorder, that uses two IDX Li-Ion 14.4V 55Wh/3.8AH NP style batteries. It is equipped with a dimmer also.

IDX X3 on camera video light

They are claiming that the output is approximately equal to a 35w lamp at "Daylight" color temperature, while drawing only 11 watts from the battery. There are no specs as far as LED source, possibly 4-3 watt luxeons under-driven, or 3-3 watt Luxeons over-driven? Or maybe 2-5 watt luxeons slightly over-driven? Only time will tell.

One 35watt bulb that is used for an on-camera light for video production is the FMW-MR16, 12V 40 degree flood beam, rated at 1000 center beam candlepower, and 550 forward lumens at 3,000 degrees kelvin. So 11 watts of LED producing 550 lumens seems outstanding. There are also MR-16 35w spotlights with 9 degree beam angles that are rated 12,500cp, and 575 lumens.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rated life for the LED would indicate one or more a five watt LEDs.

What is the cost?

OddOne

Enlightened
Re: Anyone seen this 11watt LED light yet? 550 Lum

Yeah, and I love how they're showing a render instead of the real thing. Guess they know about us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IDX System Technology:
The LEDs are rated to last in excess of 10,000 hours, eliminating the need to carry fragile, spare filament bulbs. The X3 requires no safety glass, no dichroic filter and the LEDs are configured in a unique lens holder which ensures a uniform and consistent light dispersal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like 4x LuxIII underdriven with 12V power source.

beam_me_up

Enlightened

It says it outputs 35 watts from using only 11 watts worth of power, it is also using multiple LEDs. Nothing special here.

MikeF

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
beam_me_up said:
It says it outputs 35 watts from using only 11 watts worth of power, it is also using multiple LEDs. Nothing special here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's special for me when I can conserve my batteries, and have to carry two instead of three. Now I carry two in the camera, and an extra for the on-camera light. I got some more info from IDX:

"The beam angle at 3 feet is approx. 40 degrees. The light has a 0-100% dimmer. It is not focusable. The brightness level is 300Lx (about 28 footcandles) at 1 meter."

I will be picking it up at the Dealers, if it is bright enough. If not, I will continue to lug my current kit at 28 pounds plus 26 pound tripod plus 23 pound light kit plus 180 pound reporter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeF

Enlightened

Now the link shows a photgraph. You can clearly see three emitters through the lens that appears to be frosted.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
beam_me_up said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate when products have "specs" such as "outputs 35 watts of light". WTF is 35 watts of light? Totally meaningless as it can be anywhere from maybe 200 lumens (for low filament temperature, low efficiency incandescents) up to maybe 4000 lumens (for the best HID and/or fluorescent). Putting info like that on a package is misleading, ambiguous, and should be illegal. To me if someone says 35 watts of light, that means 35 watts of visible radiant energy is being outputted. This is anywhere from maybe 7000 to 14000 lumens for white light, depending upon how full the spectrum is,

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

300Lx @ 1 Meter (40 degrees)

I am curious, are they referring to lux when they write Lx? If so that number would be about right for 3 over driven 3 watt luxeons with wide angle optics behind a frosted glass. It would also explain the shorter life span. For a lux comparison Flashight reviews measurements of the 5 watt NightCutter M60L Combat Light has the following lux numbers for each of their optics/reflector setups.

Narrow Lens/optic, 10 degree
492 lux @1 meter

Medium Lens/optic, 30 degree
272 lux @ 1 meter

Reflector (wide)
186 lux @ 1 meter

Therefore the 300 Lux @ 1 meter neither seems overstated or terribly impressive. I have a 15 watt halogen bike light that uses a Spectra Blue Halogen bulb that puts out 1222 lux @ one meter. This is only about a 20 degree beam. Where all of these lights will excel is in total light output as opposed to lux.

Now regarding their statement-

"Outputting the equivalent to a 35W halogen bulb at 'daylight' color temperature, while only requiring 11W of power, the X3 gives amazing power efficiency and is a significant help for battery life in ENG situations."

The only thing I can figure is the company may be making reference to how cameras will react to this overdriven white LED light as opposed to a 35 watt halogen light with it's comparatively more yellow beam. This is because aside from taking into account how cameras react to the different lights the numbers just do not seem to add up.

LED-FX

Enlightened

"Outputting the equivalent to a 35W halogen bulb at 'daylight' color temperature"

Theres the catch, a 35W halogen at `daylight` CT wiull have a lumen munching bit of blue gel or dichro filter in front of it. But it may mean that the comparison is fairer than some..

Lens looks like a Fraen FT3

Adam