Princeton Tec Surge: most light /size for the $?

Gandalf

Enlightened
I got a Princeton Tec Surge recently, and I've been using it quite a bit. I quickly discovered this $25 flashlight puts out more light than my 9P Surefire, with a better beam, too. It has a really nice beam: a 'hot spot' in the center of an oval diffused beam; about the same size as my SF 9P, but *much* brighter. Burn time with alkalines, (Duracells) included in the purchase price, BTW, is listed at 3-5 hrs. I put in a set of NiMH batteries, to keep operating cost down. This light is really bright for it's size and cost. I like the thumb switch, and positive detents for on and off, with the 'middle' position giving you the option of quickly turning the light on and off. Considering there are 8 AA batteries inside, the light is surprisingly compact; with an oval cross section, smaller than a D cell flashlight, and shorter than most 2 C cell flashlights. This compact light has a lot going for it; I wish my SureFire flashlights had the nice hot spot in the center of their beams, like the Surge does. My only complaint about this light is that it's too big to carry with me all of the time, except in a jacket pocket. Anyone else find any shortcomings for this light I haven't found? This light really seems like a very good buy, in comparison to other 'high end' and more expensive lights.
cool.gif
wink.gif

bucken

Enlightened
I've had a Surge for over a month now. At first, I thought that it felt kind of "slippery", having such a smooth finish on it. But after using it around the cars (changing spark plugs, etc.), the grease just wipes right off. Maybe it's not so bad.

I've found that it got slightly dimmer after being turned on about 45 minutes continuous, but not really a lot though. This is about as long as I've had it on continuously.

It really does give off a very strong light, but it is just too big for carrying around. It's more of a toolbox / workbench type light, IMHO.

funk

Enlightened
The slippery-ness was one of my complaints, but as anything, a little bit tape can fix take care of it.

I have been very pleased with the power and performance - the thing that I wonder, is that they say the Switchback will have similar power and beam as the Surge - that's even more amazing - can't wait to see it.

Free

Enlightened
I have had mine for a while and really like it. Very bright light.

Have you guy's tried to change the batteries yet? It took me about half an hour the first time to figure out how to finess the battery compartment back out of the light. You have to be really careful not to bump the bulb as it is very delicately attached
frown.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Free:
I have had mine for a while and really like it. Very bright light.

Have you guy's tried to change the batteries yet? It took me about half an hour the first time to figure out how to finess the battery compartment back out of the light. You have to be really careful not to bump the bulb as it is very delicately attached
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I had to look inside the Surge as soon as I got it. It's not that hard to get the battery compartment out, but there's a bit of a 'trick' to it. Once you figure it out, it's quite easy, but it's not all that easy to see how to do it, the first time. Oh, there were *instructions*???
rolleyes.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> they say the Switchback will have similar power and beam as the Surge - that's even more amazing - can't wait to see it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhh, what's a Switchback? Is it a pending Princeton Tec light?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Switchback is a Halogen/LED hybrid headlamp. Inner Mountain Outfitters IMO is expecting delivery this month.

As far as the Surge, this thing is incredible. EXTREMELY bright, nicely shaped beam with nearly 3 hours of runtime on 8 (cheap, readily available) AA's! It's also tough and waterproof. I haven't actually seen a Legend LX yet, but I doubt that it is as rugged or as bright as this beauty (although it is smaller).

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Just got my Surge from Brightguy and I'm currently giving it a runtime test which I'll post. I'm more interested in how long it will maintain its brightness (within about 25% or less) than about the total "runtime" by which most lights are exaggeratedly advertised.

It IS very bright and even gives my tightly focussed Asp Taclite a run for its money, and with a larger hotspot too!

I have a large variety of holsters which I've accumulated over the years, that can acommodate almost any reasonably sized light. I wore the Surge on my belt for a couple of hours and it was quite comfortable, though not really suited for every day carry, especially if you're dressed for work.

I have a question which I'll mention here, but which I'll also post separately in hopes that I'll get an answer: According to BrightGuy you must not use lithium AA's in the Surge because they "can ruin the lamp". But this is not mentioned in any advertising, or anywhere on the packaging or instructions that come with the light.
Anybody know what the deal is?

PS Gandalf, Do NiMH batteries have longer life than alkalines? And can they also "ruin the lamp"??

Regards,
Brightnorm

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Surge just now. It's somewhat heavy for its size, but then again it has 8 AA batteries in it. It appears to be very bright with a hot spot at the center, but also with a broad peripheral beam. I can't wait until the Sun goes down.

Sun Sun go away. Come back another day. You see I got my Surge today. OK?

apologies.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my Surge for an hour long walk through the park, along with a Tec 40 for comparison purposes. The Surge has a MUCH wider beem pattern with a smoother beam, although it is by no means perfectly smooth. It is very bright and makes an excellent walking and area light. The beam on the Tec 40 is very narrow and is brighter than the Surge at dead center, but nowhere else. The Tec 40 is thus better at long distance spotting, but puts out a fraction of the light overall, and also has a crappy beam quality as a spot light since the center spot is not at all circular.

The Surge is a bit large for a walking light, unless you're used to a C or D light. It is also a little slippery. It has the same material surface as the Tec 40, but it's heavier so this is more noticeable. I may tape some rubber to it or something.

I would love to put 19 white LED's in the Surge and use it as a general purpose area light for camping, etc. I would prefer a smaller and more focused light for long range spotting, though.

Overall it's a very good light, and I like it a lot. It is definitely a best buy.

Latest posts