Longbow micra or Nuwai Q3

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is better, longbow micra or nuwai Q3. BE HONEST. THANKS.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif-David

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Micra. I love it. Its my EDC. I recommend getting either a Reflector or PR head for it to give it more throw. As far as I know, a Longbow Micra has more options as far as manufacturer upgrades. ECO tubes, booster heads, and if you go far enough, a 5W capsule for it as well. All that while being waterproof like crazy and durable...also compact. Also should get a clip for it from BugOurGeatUSA.

Cameron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Nuwai Q3.

My opinion says:

Nuwai has better beam quality. Balance of flood to spot, no artifacts in beam. Longbow is spot beam mainly with noticable artifacts.

Exterior fit and finish are about the same, with an edge to Longbow due to tougher finish options (HA 3 in the olive drab model). I'd classify exterior fit and finish to be very good on both lights. Interior fit and finish on both lights are below average though, unfortunately.

Runtime: I get 20-30 minutes of regulated runtime in my least efficient Longbow Micra (I find this runtime annoying, and it happens to also be in my c.u. green tinted Micra), and ABOUT 45 minutes minutes regulatated runtime in my most efficient Micras. My Nuwai Q3s average about 1 hour to 75 minutes of good but diminishing light, then poop out and give minimal light for a few more minutes, depending on battery. This is a slight advantage to Nuwai, as there is less variation and about 10-15 minutes longer runtime on average. Both lights from what I can tell clearly do NOT live up to the runtime they put on the packaging.

Tint: My Nuwais are both HID blue, which I don't mind. Only a slight hint of blue when looked at in some directions. My Longbows range from nasty c.u. green to creamy near white. But, even the ones with the white beam have some hints of green in the corona due to the optics making minor but strange colored rings. I've fixed this on one of my Micras by dropping in a reflector. I'll give an edge to Nuwai in tint, since I really dislike green tint (especially the c.u. green tint).

Output: impossible for me to measure lumens since I do NOT have an integrated sphere, but my eyes tell me that the Q3s are apparently giving more OVERALL light (lights up a larger area much brighter), but doesn't throw quiet as far as the Longbow Micras.

Overall, both are good products. I think the Nuwai gives more bang for the buck, and for me the excellent Nuwai beam quality is enough to overlook that it is unregulated and lacks HA 3. I definitely prefer the Nuwai, but still use both Nuwais and Longbows.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just got a Q3 today. I know you want an honest post though, so here is the most unbiased I can give.

I love this little light. It is bright, durable, and inexpensive. I was also considering the Micra, but I decided against it because of the extra price. I am glad I did. The Q3 is beautiful. It has everything in an EDC that I'd want. Plus, it is spot or flood. Just take off the head of the Q3 and you get a very smooth flood light. Put the head back on, and it'll do a good job of lighting stuff up at least 50 feet away (in darkness of course). No need to buy a reflector for the Micra. That is just more money. Get yourself a Q3. You wont be dissapointed.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, I like throw, but I dont want to buy a peice of crud. micra is a beauty though! I was at first leaning toward micra, but I am dead even now.

-David

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as you have read, the Micra throws a bit further but it has artifacts in its beam. Q3 does have good throw though. It's very surprising.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bobisculous said:
a 5W capsule for it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the 5watt compatible with the Micra? Is that even possible? running a 5 watter off a single 123? I am a bit unsure of what upgrade to buy for my Micra. I just know I need an Eco tube b/c I cant afford to feed it with 123s much longer.

Whoops forgot to answer the question. The micra is a B-E-A-YOOtiful light. I really think I won the luxeon lottery on this one and the beam is very powerful. I dont mind the Unspill-iness and I think it is very nice in stock form. I dont have a Q III though. The micra is a very tough light, Physically. The walls are very thick. Now the only downside of this wonderful light is the electronics. When you have a pretty much almost used battery with about only 1/3 power than a fresh cell, the micra must warm up a bit before turning on again, with of course diminished output. What I mean is that when you turn on the micra with a battery that has low voltage like the one mentioned before, it will be dim of course. When you turn it off and immediately try to turn it on again, it wont come on. You have to wait (thank goodness) only a few seconds for it to warm up, and then it turns on again in a sort of moon mode. As the battery depletes even more, the warm up time will take longer depending on the power left in the battery.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
based on this site, longbow is 5 of 5 stars and nuwai is 4.5 of 5 stars: http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR.home.htm
so, longbow aint that bad huh?

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect to the reviewer at Imagometrics, I happen to enthusiastically disagree with many of his reviews. If you want another review site, I'd recommend flashlightreviews.com.....

(I don't see how a light with as many flaws as the Micra has--especially the heart of the light--the circuit) can be given 5 stars. Just this is what my opinion says, but I stand behind what my opinion says.

In the end, you need to buy what appeals to you the most. All I say is not to make a decision based on just ONE review site. Your miles may vary though.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sort of agree with 357. The reviewer at the given link didnt really look at the bad sides of the light which makes the entire review unreliable. But I still think the Micra is a great light. Always remember, you can probably send the light back for replacement if you have a good reason to do so. (tint issues, quality, etc.) Since BugOutGearUSA is actually a registered and well participating CPFer, he will understand why you are returning it if its for tint or anything else.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add, that either way you will be happy. Neither is a bad light, or a top notch light. Both are good lights with flaws in different areas. Its up to you to decide what flaws you can live with more than others.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All you have to do is return it to longbow, they'll give you a new luxeon. longbow looks nice to me, Q3 too.

-David

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Let me add, that either way you will be happy. Neither is a bad light, or a top notch light. Both are good lights with flaws in different areas. Its up to you to decide what flaws you can live with more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]
He just said it all. It just depends on your needs.

Micra: Tough construction (HA III), considerably bright, bad electronics, spot-type light (in stock form), high cost.

Q III: Not too shabby in construction, good compromise of spot and flood, decent electronics, type 2 adonize, inexpensive.

You choose what you want.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that the QIII is a great little flood light without the head on (though somewhat dim because the light gets spread out to much. great indoors though)). Kills the idea of waterproof though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the Micra isnt too mod friendly since the light engine has to be inside a small capsule that screws onto the body of the light. The only modder who was able to overcome this problem was McGizmo who made the McCapsule in which you solder an emitter and converter board to a similar but empty capsule. But that itself is a bit expensive. A completely assembled McCapsule is about 90$ IIRC.

Edit: the Micra has the same feature as Baker described in his Q III. If you want pictures feel free to post your request on this thread. I will try to some anyway that I took a long time ago with a rather crappy little camera. the kind that is hooked up to the computer. I forgot the name of those.... I hate it when that happens....

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Let me put it this way: I own three Micras and one Q3. With the reflector/UCL upgrade, the Micra is a fantastic EDC.

All three of my Micras have excellent tint and acceptable runtime. I have none of the "bad electronics" problems people talk about. Granted, I have no moon mode in any of my Micras.

That being said, my Q3 has no moon mode either.

The Q3 is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck, but I much prefer the Micra.

gorlank

Enlightened
If you wanted a Q3, now's the time to get one. There's a brutal price war on the BST. Hide the women and children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
<<I happen to enthusiastically disagree with many of his reviews.>>

He/she has certainly raised my eyebrows a few times, as well.

I get the impression that whoever does that site is more interested in a professional-looking presentation than "nuts & bolts" specifics about the product in question.

Professionalism is always good; but if your information is suspect... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Mag_despiser. The 5W is capable of going on a Micra. You must have a ECO tube and R123s running at 4.2V, but it does work. Hard like crazy to get a 5W though as they are only sold in Singapore or somewhere on the other side of the globe.

Cameron

Latest posts