The Top 100 Gadgets of All Time

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if the definition of gadget might need to be refined some- for instance, the Space Pen is a nifty concept but I wouldn't really consider it a gadget. It doesn't really qualify under their own definition regarding moving parts.
Or the Swingline stapler- a gadget?

Things I consider gadgets are items that follow an unusual path to solve a need or do something. Maybe like an ultrasonic tape measure, or a PaperPro stapler, which works like a staple gun, or a PDA, etc.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
Hmm interesting read. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
I'm not sure if the definition of gadget might need to be refined some- for instance, the Space Pen is a nifty concept but I wouldn't really consider it a gadget. It doesn't really qualify under their own definition regarding moving parts.
Or the Swingline stapler- a gadget?

Things I consider gadgets are items that follow an unusual path to solve a need or do something. Maybe like an ultrasonic tape measure, or a PaperPro stapler, which works like a staple gun, or a PDA, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't thinks they are too hard on themselves with the definitions:

"It has to be a self-contained apparatus that can be used on its own, not a subset of another device. The flashlight counts; the light bulb does not. The notebook counts, but the hard drive doesn't."

Yeah, so a harddrive isn't a gadget 'cause it's not a stand-alone device, but a mouse, a compactflash card and a thumbdrive can all be used on it's own huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And seriously a car alarm keyfob is a gadget, but what about the TV remote, I personally use that about twenty times more often then the keyfob...

scuba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
Scuba... That walkman... wow its OLDSCHOOL, RETRO! :snicker:

Just joking.. I always crack on my dad...

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I miss those movie theaters with the pianist doing the soundtrack...good old days...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the list is an intertesting idea, but not that well thought out. If you removed all of the redundant entries for laptop computers, PDAs and cell phones, you would lose a big chunk of the list right there. And a "bedazzler"??? That's the dumbest thing ever. Two different ball point pens? Two walkmans? I think the author got about 30 good items and then regretted that his title required 100. He is clearly reaching on a lot of those.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also don't think they thought it thru to well. So I sent them an email for the update they are planning next month. From all the "free research" they get ehehhe... here is what I sent and what I thought up in about 30 seconds that they missed.

I nominate at least two more.

The HP 100LX was my first PDA and I think sharp or casio may have had one around a similar time.

I also had the first hard drive MP3 player The Personal Jukebox, or PJB, was created as a prototype personal audio appliance by Compaq's Systems Research Center (SRC) and Palo Alto Advanced Development group (PAAD). The PJB project started in May 1998, licensed to a Korean company called HanGo and the PJB-100 product shipped in November 1999. I was an early adopter of this technology back in 1999 with the first 2GB model. I also purchased a 20GB backlit model when they came out. The simple PJB-100 has instant access to change playlist, songs and options. It has a removable lithium battery that plays for about 8+ hours and you could always carry an extra battery for swapping out. Available software made it easy to rip CDs and manage the directory including storage for any file types in a Windows Explorer fashion. Although the PJB is a rugged unit, I managed to wear-out the fwd>> button on my 20GB model. Since they are no-longer available and since I hoped to find newer, better technology, it was time to find a new player. Here is a good FAQ on the old PJB100… RIP… http://members.lycos.co.uk/sjw007/

These two items have truly revolutionized my life.

A couple more items that come to mind are the cronograph which i believe was invented by the watch company Breitling. The TV remote changed my life also but I noticed that the digital button helped a LOT. So I nominate the first TVs using a digital button to change channels and volume. No linger did we have to worry about broken tv dials and know. I was skeptical at first but time proved it to be far superior in function and durability to the analog dial.