New SL 4AA Propolymer Lux

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh! Wait a minute. I dont have that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have the incan and the 7-LED model. Doesn't look like they offer the drop-in 1w for it yet. I'll email them.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my email response from BrightGuy about just getting the light assembly since I already have the body. Here is his reply:

Not yet. Parts like that usually follow in a month or so.

Its a nice light.

Greg.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I fried the incan version of my SL 4AA incan by using 4 L91 Lithium energizers. It just wont turn on anymore but the 7-LED assembly works fine.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if its heatsinked enough given plastic frame.

I like the concept. UK 4aa eled is another plastic light in this class, but that one is underdriven at about 12-20 lumens so I don't heatsink matters?

40 lumens for SL if its lux 1 would be pushing it, especially with plastic frame and little heatsink I thinks.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Most interested in knowing for sure if lithiums will work in this new flashlight. If so - I've got to add one. They style is really quite durable, waterproof, and reliable.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the dog for a walk with my 7-LED SL and my UK eLED. I have lithium L91 batts in both. The SL is way brighter but at less runtime. SL has way more flood. Also puts out a lot more lumens when comparing the two in a ceiling bounce. Seemed like it even threw better when shining at distant stop signs. Both nice lights though and both are going in my earthquake kits with a spare set of L91's

Definately will be trying this new single LED SL when they come out with the replacement LA.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Definitely will be trying this new single LED SL when they come out with the replacement LA.

[/ QUOTE ] Take a look at the pictures of the 7 LED or the incandescent 4AA propolymer and compare them with the new 1 watt propolymer; the length of the 1 watt is longer to accommodate the deep reflector. I don't think it'll be just a drop in light assembly you'll need, and if you're replacing that much of the light there may not be any cost savings over just getting the whole unit.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks LowBat. I didn't see you at the Get-together this month? Or were you in cognito? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The incan LA version that I just threw in the trash bin next to me is deeper than the 7-LED LA. I would guess if they just swap out the bulb for a 1w LED it may be sufficient. It's a lot deeper that the UK eLED and about the same as a 20mm in my modded Q3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
I just took the dog for a walk with my 7-LED SL and my UK eLED. I have lithium L91 batts in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lithiums in the SL 7LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm surprised that you haven't fried the LEDs already, unless you are using three lithium batteries with a dummy cell.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
CromagNet, sorry to hear about the death of your SL 4AA incan. The Energizer battery package says that they'll repair or replace items damaged by these batteries. Anybody ever take advantage of this offer?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm... it's not important to me if I fry one of these cheap lights. That's how I found out that my Q3 could be a Q3 on streroids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I won't try the unkown with my Aleph though... yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
I just took the dog for a walk with my 7-LED SL and my UK eLED. I have lithium L91 batts in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lithiums in the SL 7LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm surprised that you haven't fried the LEDs already, unless you are using three lithium batteries with a dummy cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say the same thing. The SL is already strongly overdriven and lithiums certainly aren't going to help. I wouldn't want that light in a survial kit anymore. I'd get a new one and use the lithiums with one dummy cell.

I don't think anyone on CPF is going to be able to verify the lumens claim. We'll get plenty of lux comparisons, but that doesn't give us a clue about lumens.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Thanks LowBat. I didn't see you at the Get-together this month? Or were you in cognito? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for thinking of me. I was in Oxnard the first half of February, but I would have liked to go. Maybe I'll get a chance to attend the next one.