Opalec NewBeam run time on 2 AAAs

dirobesh

Enlightened
I've modded a torch that runs on 2 side by side AAA batteries by filling a NewBeam. It's flat and fits perfectly in my hand and pocket. However I haven't a clue how long it will run at full output on them. I'm guessing about 21/2 - 3 hours? Has anyone any idea? Thanks.

B@rt

Flashaholic
dirobesh,
you're going to be pleasantly surprized...
grin.gif

Look here for Roy's run time plot for the Opalec.
winkie.GIF

dirobesh

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, however the chart only shows the runtime for AA batteries - how much less do you think it will be using 2 AAA batteries. Thanks.

B@rt

Flashaholic
If I remember correctly, an AA cell has a capacity of 2850mAH, and an AAA 1150mAH. If the Opalec runs about 9 hours on AA's , it should run at least 3 to 3.5 hrs. on AAA's.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the size of the opalec module, I believe you can use something which has 4 AAAs in it for a torch, connecting using a series parallel way. That makes 6 hours?

Brock

Flashaholic
I was just thinking the Princeton Tec Rage, the head might even be about the right size. Ok who's going to mod it? I would bet the Princeton Tec Blast might work also, 2 AAA's. If I had to guess I would say 3 hours, maybe 3.5 on fresh cells. That would make an interesting little light.