Harmonica?

matt_j

Enlightened
I would like to get a small beginer harmonica that I can learn how to play... I could never learn how to play a musical instrument so this will be a challenge but I would like to give it a try...

Any ideas or sugestions?

Matt

DaFiend

Enlightened
Have you been to www.harpsoft.com/ztalk/ ? its a forum i googled might be a good start.i have no idea. closest i've been to a harmonica is my best friend that teaches me guitar uses one to Blow an "E" to tune his guitar to.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif . I'm almost 24 and have only just taken up a musical insrument (guitar
guitarist.gif
), and now i wish i i had taken it up 10 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

this as close a smiley i could get to a little harp dude.....
music415.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
hormoinca? Wasn't that Bill Clinton's girlfriend?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Go pick up a cheap one at a music store and practice on it until you figure out more. You should be able to get them for a dollar or two. By the time you get semi decent at the cheaper harmonica you will have a better idea what you will want in a good one.

DaveT

Enlightened
OK, hate to admit it but back in college I bought the "Klutz" book/tape version of easy-to-learn harmonica...I believe it was by David Harp. The Klutz book on juggling actually did teach me how to juggle.
Less stellar success with the harmonica book/tape, but then I barely put any time into it and I can still pick out an agonized version of "Amazing Grace."
I can't find the same version I had - here's what I found:

Various books
And here's one by David Harp:
David Harp

I'd definitely recommend getting one with a CD...hearing and reading are better teachers than just reading. Also, I'd suggest you spend the $20 or so on a standard-quality Hohner harmonica of whatever flavor (Blues, Marine band, whatever) - the books usually suggest a key and I forget what it is, but it's probably the "standard" key that's most frequently available. The harmonica that's packaged with some of these books is practically a novelty.
All these years later I still have a couple in the drawer, and someday I'll give it another go.
Have fun
Dave

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to play blues, rock, gospel or country don't get a chromatic. That's the one with button that allows you to play every note on the scale. Jazz can be played with a chromatic or a diatonic.

Diatonic harmonicas come in keys... G, A, Bb(B flat), C, D, E and F are the basics.

To jam with a tune or a group playing a tune, you want to be playing a harp that is 3 steps off. IOWs if the tune is in G you want to be in C. If the tune is in E you want to play an A harp. Three steps off doesn't make sense except for a method called cross harp. That is simply the bending of the note which is what many humans seem to like to hear. If you are a fifth away and bend the note, now you are a fourth away which is harmony. There's more to it than that. Maybe some of the musicians on this board will comment in a more clear way. I don't think a person really needs to know all that theory to play blues harmonica. The originators of blues harp were typically poor. They had what they had and learned to bend the notes to be in harmony with the tune.

However, knowing the theory will help when jamming with musicians. The extent of my knowledge of the theory is small. I usually need the lead to tell me what key I need 'cause my math functions go away if I've been invited to be on a stage. If they don't tell me, I can still figure it out pretty quickly by just tooting on a few harps.

I told ya all that so I could give you some advice that may help to keep you inspired. Hundreds and thousands of dollars can be spent on most instruments. Paying $150.00 for a group of harmonicas is comparatively pretty cheap. To be able to play along with most any tune is great.

I would not buy a Hohner Blues Harp. They are de-tuned to sound bluesy. A Hohner Marine band would be much better. You blues it up by bending the notes. I like them because they are very old school. The problem is that when the wooden comb expands from moisture, it will abrade your lips.

What works better for me is the Hohner Special 20 because it has a plastic comb. No expansion. No escaping air. They sound wonderful. Lee Oskars are a step up but they wear out just as fast.

I bought my Special 20s here: Coast to Coast That case also holds small flashlights quite well.

I looked around and found a site that will let you download backtracks. They tell you the key of the backtrack and tell you what key harmonica to use. OnLineJam

Have fun.

- Jeff