NightCutter 5CSI UV impressions

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally received my NightCutter 5CSI UV(375nm). It runs off of 2x123 (Pila 168S was too tight). I don't mind that it is a twisty light since you aren't going to use it for signaling anyways. It does have a momentary spot of the twist right before full on where all you have to do is press on the side of the head to activate momentary. No clip. Comes with a nice breakaway lanyard and a recessed spot for keychain.

First thing I noticed was that this flashlight's 5 LEDs produce a small but powerful UV hotspot. No sidespill so if you want a larger viewing area, stand back further. There was less visible light than my 395nm Inova X5T. Items flouresced brighter with less purple than the X5T. This is by far the best UV flashlight 'for its size'. It's UV level (375nm) is perfect level of UV power vs. cost ($79). This is one awesome light! If anyone is ever thinking of getting a small pocketable UV light, THIS IS IT!

One sad note, though. The only UV light I've found so far that can flouresce a $100 bill strip is my custom made UV slip on filter for my miniHID or Mag85 (my most powerful UV setup). Not even the NightCutter 5CSI could flouresce the strip on a $100. Neither could the UV Inova or the UV Photon Micro.

Still the best pocketable light blended with power (for the money) is the NightCutter. I hope in the future they flood the light out just a tad more for a larger viewing area while up close.

Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, so I guess you need ~365nm to get the 100 to light up.

I wonder how the life on the nightcutter leds will be..

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that newer UV LEDs don't degenerate anymore. Even if that statement is remotely true, I doubt we'll ever 'wear out' the LEDs.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I've just ordered the UV lense that you've posted last week. I wonder how well these UV lenses perform when compare to some of those high power UV leds that cost around $100?

ernest

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this Nightcutter compare to the Mag85 UV? Close, or no competition?

Just wondering if I should get the UV filter for my Mag 85 or get the Nightcutter 5CSI?

Thanks for the information, here and the other posts.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PocketBeam said:
How does this Nightcutter compare to the Mag85 UV? Close, or no competition?

Just wondering if I should get the UV filter for my Mag 85 or get the Nightcutter 5CSI?

Thanks for the information, here and the other posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we a strictly rating UV performance, the Mag85 (or better yet the miniHID) is much more powerful at flourescing when using the filter. Both UV Mag85 and UV miniHID have no competition from my other UV lights. But the NightCutter comes close and its small.

Since the filter cuts out almost all light above 360nm, no other UV flashlight will flouresce things as well as the Mag with UV filter. Even though the Mag85 with filter setup has a slight ambient red glow on the non-flourescing surroundings it is more powerful in flourescing 'stuff'. Just remember to let your eyes adjust to the dark and set the Mag85 to flood (setting before a donut hole appears).

Don't get me wrong, just because the filter setup can flouresce a $100 security strip and all the other setups can't, doesn't mean they suck. That 5CSI light is really really cool. For portability and wavelength power, it's a nice setup.

The filter setup is $40 but you can't throw a Mag85 in your shirt pocket.

Jeff

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vacuum3d said:
Thanks for the info. I've just ordered the UV lense that you've posted last week. I wonder how well these UV lenses perform when compare to some of those high power UV leds that cost around $100?

ernest

[/ QUOTE ]

The filter will blow them away and leave you $60 change in your pocket.

Remember that a regular Mag isn't powerful enough to shine through the filter. It need to be a modded mag probably around 500 lumens or more.

PJ

Enlightened
I was talking to the owner of Photon at the SHOT show about the Photon UV. He said the UV LEDs they use have a metal die in them and a glass cover over top to slow the degeneration of the LED or some variation of that. I compared one to a Minimag with 390 nm UV and the Photon definitely fluoresced better.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon is also 370nm. I own one. Still a big difference from 390nm. Great thing about the filter though is you get ALL the wavelengths that the flashlight generates from 360nm and under and it NEVER degenerates.

If there still is degeneration of UV LEDs, I don't think I'll use one enough hours to 'burn it out' and I use it quite a bit.

Jeff

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since I have a 3AA end to end style UV led light already, about 400nm. I think I will get the UV filter for my Mag85. Thanks much for this great tip.

Let me change this, to just ordered the filter from B&H. Can't wait to check my carpets, etc.

Thanks PitBull

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3 aa 7 led 380nm ebay light that I like a lot

26 bucks shipped.

a lot less visible light output than a 390 - 400 nm light.