Fix for a flu that just won't go away?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fix for a flu that just won\'t go away?

I thought I'd ask the best think tank on the Internet since everybody around me is clueless. My family doctor is away for a while and his replacement knows less than *I* do (and any 'debugging' I do at work is the virtual kind, not the human kind..).

I've been running a 38degC fever for 4 days now, it's cyclical - sometimes hot, sometimes closer to normal (37), and everything continues to ache despite various over the counter painkillers which are primarily paracetamol based. It feels like it is seriously never going to end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif every time it feels like it's getting better for a few hours, it comes back after that. There are also times where I feel like I'm freezing to death.

Not to mention I think I've caught everything along with it - cough, cold, sore throat, and then some.

Should I get another professional to take a look at me or should I just try to ride out the storm with ever increasing amounts of painkillers? I could really use some help.

Thanks guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Fix for a flu that just won\'t go away?

I'd stay in bed and ride it out... A good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif flu can last a couple of weeks.

Once you've got it, there isn't a whole lot that can be done, besides making sure you get plenty fluids, and if possible some food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Take care,

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Take something with codeine to get rid of the worst of the symptoms but otherwise all you can do is ride it out. Last January I was bedridden for over two weeks with the worst case of the flu I ever had. At times I literally could hardly get up to go to the bathroom. There were also chills, congestion, swollen lymph nodes, dizziness, and more. My mom had the same thing, went to the doctor, and got better no faster than I did. I avoid doctors like the plague (last checkup was in 1980) so that route was out for me. Also, I have no medical insurance and couldn't see getting hit with a bill of at least a few hundred for something I already knew was the flu. It'll pass, just give it time.

On the plus side, I think being that sick made me build up a very strong immunity. I haven't been more than slightly sick since. Getting sick is usually a very rare thing for me, which made the flu last year all the more annoying.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not being a doctor, all I'd suggest is bed rest, fluids (take it easy on sugar and caffiene, though), and eat sensibly.

Avoid contact with others to not only keep it from spreading but to keep from getting something else on top of the flu. Wash your hands often -- this is very important. Keep used tissues away from others.

If you have a high fever, or the fever lasts for more than a very few days, or you have headache and/or neck ache with the fever, go to a doctor ASAP. These are symptoms not to be ignored.

Watch or read something fun. Laughter helps.

Rest and get well.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not doctor either, but if you feel like you can't shake it, maybe it is something worse than just the flu and maybe you should see a doctor. Even if it is the flu, I think they have more prescription meds to treat it now. I know the flu can be a huge drag, so hang in there. Fluids and rest are probably the best home treatments.

DarkLight

Enlightened

The flu can last two weeks I know.... It took 6 weeks before I felt up to par again..

2dim

Enlightened

I have a unit that generates colloidal silver, which has proven extremely effective against flu and other infections. It was purcxhased from www.biophysica.com just outside Toronto, Canada. There's lots of info on the net about silver solutions, but beware since not all are as advertised. If you're interested, we could talk further about what to look for...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

lots and lots of vitamin c?

i've heard that it's great for the immune system, and that we should be getting a lot more than our daily allowance suggests...

DarkLight

Enlightened

I take 2 grams a day of C in mineral ascorbate form..

SuperGram II is good stuff

Havent been sick all winter...

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the flu is what you have, it has to run its course. If you caught it at the very beginning, there are medications that could have helped with the severity/duration, but too late now. Fluids and rest - fluids flush you and the rest allows your body to repair itself.

Treat the symptoms as you need to. If the fever does not respond to acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen, I'd see a doctor. If you have a bacterial infection (sometimes born out of a long viral infection), it won't go away without antibiotics.

If it's the flu, it'll be a wasted visit. If it's bacterial, you'll be thankful that you went.

Good luck - I hope you feel better.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Rest and fluids (to replenish lost fluids and electroloytes). I've also heard that Amantadine can help, but only if used at the onset of symptoms.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

Try some warm chicken soup or broth. Chicken Bullion will do, in a pinch. Surprising how much better it makes you feel.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chills... Hope you don't have malaria, which is common in Singapore/Malaysia. I'd seriously suggest that you see another doctor for a 2nd opinion if you don't trust his replacement.

I remember having to take bitter quinine tablets daily when I was serving my National Service in Singapore many many years ago to prevent malaria. I'm pretty sure they have better drugs now though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Truly the best place on the Net to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Feeling a bit better today, managed to get a couple of things done. It's tough when you're finding it hard to think and recall stuff you know you have a good reason for and absolutely cannot remember. But the good thing is that I don't feel so bad and the worst may well be over. It was hard to live with the downtime though, I don't usually get it so bad, a couple of days will fix it and I'll be back in business.

The chicken soup worked, too. It makes you feel better for a while, at the very least, and helps when you aren't eating so much. And that reminds me I should take my vitamins..

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kinda makes you want to get a flue shot next year, doesn't it? Anything to avoid that again.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sick right now and I thought it was the flu. Went to the Doc and turns out it's an "upper respiratory infection", which I am told models the flu sometimes like in my case. He gave me some kind of medicine and it is really helping. Maybe a trip to the doctor isn't such a bad idea for you.

gessner17

Enlightened

Whenever I get cold symptoms or any of that type, I immediatly start flooding myself with echinaciea root capsules and I usually take the Zinc locengers, I do take a multi vitamin most days also. The liquid echinaciea will work wonders, taste kind of nasty but works. go to a local health food store if you want some. Capsules are good too but liquid is more potent. I haven't had a cold or flu in years.
Good Luck

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Kinda makes you want to get a flue shot next year, doesn't it? Anything to avoid that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm now SERIOUSLY looking at the vaccines, especially for those occasions where downtime is not an option. Hopefully some day we will win the fight against viruses. In the meantime, Folding@Home is the only thing I can think of..

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I've been getting flu shots now for about 4 or 5 years and it's definitely worth it. At most, it's about the discomfort of a mosquito bite. Haven't had the flu for about a decade and don't ever expect to get it again. Wish there was something they could do about colds, though.