New green laser from z-bolt

Treacle

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a new pointer from z-bolt. I've done the pot mod on it and it seems quite impressive. There are two wires (one black one red) coming from the diode that join to the PCB aswell as the three normal legs from the diode which I've never seen before. Is this some kind of feedback device to limit the output? It is manufactured by Lightvision technologies. Any help would be appreciated.

wolfblue

Newly Enlightened
I have a DPSS-5 from Z-bolt that is the same as a BTG-2 pointer. The two wires go to a photo detector. The green infa-red filter is at a angle and reflects a portion of the beam up to the PD. This does not stop you from increasing the drive current to the diode, but may stabalize output swings some. I pot modded the one I have also. When I got it it was only doing like 3mw. After increasing the current it went to 15-21mw depending one ambient temperature. Mine was a module(just the thing inside a pointer) so I mounted thru the middle of a pentium 1 heatsink. I ran it 1 hour or more at a time and it did not get warm. It lasted about 10 hours. I think the MCA crystal roasted because I took the Z-bolt diode and driver off, and tried a hotter diode and only got a funny shaped beam(green) of 1/10 mw.

Treacle

Newly Enlightened
I see. It does seem quite powerful but as it's my first green laser I have nothing to compare it to.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Or better yet, buy one from Arnold for only a fraction of the price and the added confidence of a quality laser.

LaserMod

Enlightened
ZB and ML in my opinion are in the same boat. They both sell the Leadlights - don't be fooled by the company engravings - Leadlight can do that also for them.

They make it such a big deal that their lasers are 15mw and charge how much??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

A complete rip off for opening the button and doing the pot mod. I have ordered lasers from both ZB and ML and can prove it. Don't bother.

Back to Wicked Lasers or Abeland - I recommend both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Treacle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Raccoon said:buy one from Arnold for only a fraction of the price

[/ QUOTE ]

What a fraction of £40 inc shipping? HOW?

Treacle

Newly Enlightened
I'll tell you what, I've now got a Leadlight aswell as the one from z-bolt and with the pot mod the z-bolt is definately brighter. Apart from the fact it needs to warm up it's a cracking laser. I can see the beam in a very dimly lit room.