UV Flashlights + SmartWater = Property Protection

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Torches to shed light on crime fight

See also: www.smartwater.com

"Every police officer in Coventry is being given a new weapon in the war on crime - a torch.

The ultra-violet torches will help the city's 882 officers identify stolen goods marked with a property-marking liquid.

The liquid, called SmartWater, was launched in October 2004 and has been given to people in Wood End, Henley Green and Manor Farm.

The colourless, odourless liquid is now used in all city schools, at Youth Offending Services premises and at the council's Whitley depot.

Anyone who touches property marked with SmartWater is smeared with an indelible ink only visible under ultra-violet light. Those marked can then be forensically linked to a crime scene."

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Years ago when working in Toronto, we had a guy leave and take a job with a company near us. Several months later, I learned that he had been dipping into the petty cash. He was a suspect, but no proof could be found. They put some fluorescent material on the bills and sure enough, they caught him later... his hands glowed like crazy under a UV light. Funny, since he used to be quite vocal about how devoutly religious he was.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
They used to use this on public fire alarm call boxes (back when they used to have them planted around the city). I've used a similar product in various situations.

L

LITEmania

There are plenty of UV Marker Pen in e-bay.
I'hv been playing with now a days.
Try it..very fun.

Warren

Robban

Enlightened
Re: UV Flashlights + SmartWater = Property Protect

And then shady people will get their hands on bucketfulls of the stuff and start smearing it on police cars and such. Sounds like fun.