whats a good car for my sister

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok my dad called and my sister is looking for a car she has a good job.she wants to buy a 2005 honda civic ex specail edition.but i looked it up on the net and it sure seems under powered. is there a car in the same class.that will have more power.but be depenable

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it will be just as much as an Accord perhaps. Take away some of the bells and whistles that the Civic may have and get a V6 Accord. Or perpaps a Acura RSX. Same thing as Honda's but just more power I believe. A Toyota Celica might be a choice as well.

Cameron

raggie33

*the raggedier*
she has a 93 acura intergra now i mean that thing is fast.its payed for but she wants new car .she also got my moms saturn i will call dad and remind him of a acord but she likes very small cars .

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stick to an Accord or Civic as they are both great cars if that's what she wants. Has she considered getting a lightly used one that still has a factory warranty on it?

-Mike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
she is hard headed lol.my main concern is the low horse power in the civec. she is like me she drives fast and it is very hilly where she lives.i kinda want her to get a ford focus. if i recall the civec only has 120 hp thats so lame.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
120HP yes, perhaps thats low. BUT, its still a LIGHT car! I had a Civic until a few weeks ago, BRAND NEW it had only 94HP, and when I had it, it had 250k miles on it, so I promise it didnt really have that much left, but it still was quick quick for any car! I liked that thing a lot. Personally raggie, I would stick with the Japanese cars as they are known well for lasting a lot longer. But thats my opinion. She if she is willing to drive a standard, if so, that only helps on the quickness of the car. My 92 Civic was awesomely quick!

Cameron

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then make her learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Its more than a quickness issue, its also a safety issue. If she has a friend who must be driven to the hospital right that second, and she didnt have her own car and had to drive her friends manual auto, she we need to know. I personnaly have tought 3 or 4 friends how to drive standard in my car just for my safety in case that ever happened to me.
Its just a good thing to know.

Cameron

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you had a chance to drive the Civic yet raggie? I remember taking one out probably a year ago and thinking that it would feel slow when driving it. It didn't at all, although I did end up with a car that had a bigger engine for different reasons.

I just thought of another car that is similar, the Dodge Neon R/T. I think it has a 4 cyl. turbo in it IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

-Mike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah never drove it but the hp is so low.i just dont her to get something she hates.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it for a test drive. Find someone else who has something like it. I dont think you will be too unhappy with it. They are just so light that the little amount to HP doesnt matter too much. Their is the Dodge SRT-4. Neon with extra power. Really loud. Their are a couple of teens in my area that have em.

Cameron

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money, I'd rather take a Scion (Toyota) TC than a Honda Civic. Little more oomph, Toyota engineering, and less of the economy feel of the smaller cars. I've driven the manual version and find it to be a pretty nice ride, a little stiff for me but I'm a fan of the full size cars. .

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Get the civic! Put a cold air intake on it and a throttle body spacer and you won't believe the difference. Not fast enough, add a ceramic header and a custom exhaust and it will be even faster. The civic has more aftermarket engine parts to improve its performance than you can count. If you think the civic is still a slow car, add a turbo charger and nos. You are going to pay one way or another for a muscle car. Why not buy a car that you can easily customize? I own 2 civics, a 1999 si which has been rebuilt into a unbelievably fast car and a 2001 ex which has had only a cold air intake and throttlebody spacer put on it and it is fast and still gets 32 miles per gallon around town! You can't go wrong. Don't want to do the work? Look on ebay, lots of customized civics !

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rag - Drive it before you judge it. Hondas and Toyotas are rarely critized for lack of power. They aren't muscle cars, but are notoriously peppy and fuel efficient. They have much higher resale value and are more trouble free than their domestic counterparts. The less crap that she gets on it, the better off she'll be, but you'll never convince her of that.

LukeK

Enlightened
My father bought a 2003 Toyota Corolla brand new about a year ago. It's a very peppy car. It's acceleration surprised me. Much quicker than I had expected. Granted, once you get into the latter part of the 3rd gear and the 4th it slows, but it has decent acceleration off the line.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Raggie - if you are interested in a Ford Focus, ask the dealer about pricing on the "X" plan, then PM me if you need an"X-Plan PIN"

jaids

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lingpau said:
Get the civic! Put a cold air intake on it and a throttle body spacer and you won't believe the difference. Not fast enough, add a ceramic header and a custom exhaust and it will be even faster. The civic has more aftermarket engine parts to improve its performance than you can count. If you think the civic is still a slow car, add a turbo charger and nos. You are going to pay one way or another for a muscle car. Why not buy a car that you can easily customize? I own 2 civics, a 1999 si which has been rebuilt into a unbelievably fast car and a 2001 ex which has had only a cold air intake and throttlebody spacer put on it and it is fast and still gets 32 miles per gallon around town! You can't go wrong. Don't want to do the work? Look on ebay, lots of customized civics !

[/ QUOTE ]
Could I get a mechanic to do that stuff for me?

Samoan

Enlightened
The engine in the civic may only be 120 HP but it's very peppy with good amounts of low-end torque. My ex had a civic with the 98hp engine and it had plenty of power.

My old VW GTI had 105hp and that was plenty.