What's the scoop on buying Broadway tickets?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
What\'s the scoop on buying Broadway tickets?

My wife and daughter are going to NY in March for my daughters 16th birthday. They want to go see Lion King and Phantom of the Opera. I have the Phantom tickets but couldn't find any "deals" on Lion King for the Sat matinee. Any suggestions? This high-brow trip is breaking the bank. I could stay in a decent hotel for a week here at home for the price of one night at a nice place near Broadway. Grrrr. The airline cost was great and we now have non-stop service so there is a silver lining.

Thanks

PS: They won't be taking any beam shot photos or doing throw test on the high rise buildings. I couldn't talk them into it but I did try.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the scoop on buying Broadway tickets?

I never did find any discount tickets for Lion King. They don't sell through the half-price booth on (I think) 42nd and Broadway. The booth opens about 3 PM for tickets that day and a line would start forming maybe a half hour early in summer.

Hope you had better luck than I did.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol poor dave id sure hate to be ya. but when the fat lady sings its over .at least thats what ive heard

Brock

Flashaholic

Not for Lion King. Disney you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The only chance is waiting to see if they don't sell them all and do what we call "rush" or 1/2 prices like nerd said. I doubt you will find them for that show on a weekend though in NY, I have some connections but not when it comes to Disney or Clear Channel, so not many since they own about 2/3 of the markets now. But that is a long story…

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since you already got Phantom tickets, why not send them to the half price booth to choose from whatever shows are available that day. It may not be Lion King, but I bet they could find something that they would really enjoy.

DaveT

Enlightened

Hi Dave - I hope the ladies enjoy their visit.
I say good luck on Lion King tickets...doubtful they'd ever get those on sale.
However, lots of other things to see on Broadway. I'd recommend they try the other TKTS location - there's one in the Times Square area that everyone goes to, but there's an alternate site that doesn't get as crowded - it's at the South Street Seaport - pretty easy to get to from the Times Square area, and it's in the lower Manhattan area they might want to visit anyway.

TKTS location

Mapquest map

This location's a pedestrian mall area - it's a small, inocuous storefront, and they should bring cash or travelers' checks - they don't take anything else. I'd suggest one of those keychain size compasses to go along with whatever map they have - this bit of downtown can get a bit twisty, and it's easy to get turned around when you exit a subway. However, one thing New Yorkers like is giving directions.

I'd recommend they check the TKTS Web site occasionally in the weeks before they go to get an idea of the shows that might be available - no guarantees on the shows that actually are available on a given day. They should have in mind a list of alternatives they can agree on, because your top couple picks for shows might very well not be available when they get to the window, and availability can change quickly.
Take care
Dave

Latest posts