Just got 3W SF 6P drop in module from Bugoutgear..

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Looks VERY well made.

Renders the momentary tailcap switch on my older, round body SureFire 6P tailcap totally inoperative.

VERY DIFFICULT to turn on by rotating the tailcap for constant on, compared to the incandescent lamp.

With the incandescent lamp, I can rotate the tailcap to constant on with one hand.

With the 3W drop in module from Bugoutgear_USA, I have to use REAL FORCE to turn the tail cap, and the momentary switch doesn't work at all.

Even turning the tailcap until the LED comes on, and backing the tailcap off the tinyiest turn possible, to turn off the LED; the momentary switch is still useless.

Have other people experienced this, or did I get a bad one?

Maybe a REALLY bad one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm very, very dissapointed, to say the least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I was really looking forward to this 3W module for my 6P.

I assumed my SureFire 6P flashlight would work the same as before. I have seen nothing on this forum to indicate otherwise.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
TRC,

First...did it happen to come installed with a "ring" around the main spring? If so, please remove this ring if not using the module on a Surefire G2.

I have the same exact 6P(rounded) and the force for turning the light on with either lamp does not change(its difficult with both), however you are correct that for some reason this older model doesn't work in momentary mode unless you really back it off slowly.

You did not get a bad one I assure you, but if you would like a refund I would be happy to do so. PM or email me if you would like.

Sincerely,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BugOutGear_USA said:
TRC,

First...did it happen to come installed with a "ring" around the main spring? If so, please remove this ring if not using the module on a Surefire G2.

I have the same exact 6P(rounded) and the force for turning the light on with either lamp does not change(its difficult with both), however you are correct that for some reason this older model doesn't work in momentary mode unless you really back it off slowly.

You did not get a bad one I assure you, but if you would like a refund I would be happy to do so. PM or email me if you would like.

Sincerely,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

[/ QUOTE ]

No ring around the center spring.

I sure wish I had known in advance that these modules don't work in older 6P's

Back on Feb 2nd, I posted in the Reviews forum:

'I haven't used my SureFire 6P in a long time; this LED module could breathe new life into a virtually abandoned light. It's an older all round one I bought at a gun show for $40; probably about 10 years ago.

This module has a LOT of advantages over the KL3 1 watt LED head that SF makes.

Thanks for the great review. I wonder if my CC can handle another purchase.....'

And you replied:

'TRC...

That is the exact same light I'm using my personal 3W drop-in. It sat in my nightstand for the last 10 years or so, but now has become my work horse.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com'

You might have said something about the momentary switch not working in YOUR older, round body SF 6P back then.

How can it be a 'work horse' when you practically need a pair of strap wrenches to turn it on?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
TRC,

This IS my personal everyday light and used extensively as my demo light when demo'ing the 3W module to our customers. Like I said before, the resistance from the tailcap is the same with the 3W or the P60 so I had no reason to mention it. I have no explanation to why you are having such difficulty with your 6P. As for the momentary switch issue, it does work if I back it off slightly.

There have been many, many positive reviews about this 3W Module(still avail in the dealers forum by the way...) so far. Like I said earlier, if you are not satisfied with the module just return it for a refund. Not sure what else I can do to make you happy.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

TRC

Newly Enlightened
And the good news is that this module works in my old Legend LX; another abandoned flashlight of mine.

This module is just too nice to return; I'm glad I have a working host for it.

The LX isn't as nice of a flashlight as my old SureFire 6P, but it does have a click on/off switch, which is nice.

And the output is just spectacular from this module. The beam is just like a SureFire incandescent; nice hot spot in the middle for reasonable throw, and plenty of spill light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Just got 3W SF 6P drop in module from Bugoutge

TRC, I have to disagree. Output is a lot whiter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Re: Just got 3W SF 6P drop in module from Bugoutge

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
TRC, I have to disagree. Output is a lot whiter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is an understatement! I neglected to mention how white the beam is; it's pure white to my eyes.

I don't think it puts out quite as much light as the the 6P incandescent lamp, but because it's so white; it looks like it's MORE light, at least at a distance of around 10 feet or so, if that makes sense.

I REALLY like this module. My only possible complaint is that there isn't one (yet...?!) for the smaller E series SureFire flashlights, with the same beam characteristics.

That would make for about the most perfect flashlight possible, IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TRC said:
And the good news is that this module works in my old Legend LX; another abandoned flashlight of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe bugout should change their site which says it will not work with that light

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Painter said:
[ QUOTE ]
TRC said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe bugout should change their site which says it will not work with that light

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in fairness, it works, but at least on my 10 year old 6P the momentary button wouldn't work, and the tailcap was hard to turn. Probably with some minor modification(s) to the module (maybe the length?)it would work as well as in a newer version SF 6P. Likely someone with an old round body 6P, AND a newer Surefire may be able to see the problem at a glance; I lack the experience to try to do this.

In a PM, Flavio said it works OK in his old (round body) model 6P; and he uses that body to demo the module.

So maybe (probably...) my old 6P is a little out of spec in some way.

AND I'M not about to try to modify this nice module in any way; my success in modding flashlights is about limited to putting in a non stock bulb. As long as it drops right in, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ob1

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

AND I'M not about to try to modify this nice module in any way; my success in modding flashlights is about limited to putting in a non stock bulb. As long as it drops right in, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats about the extent of my modding experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif