To sand or not to sand?

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Surefire A2 with red LEDs and i have heard and seen pics of a noticeable halo. I have read on here of lightly sanding the LEDs to almost diffuse the light i guess. Does anyone not recommend doing this? Is it a bad idea? and if i muck something up can i order a replacement LED ring?

Thanks.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I really hate to bump but i don't want to screw up my light cause i did something stupid that cant be replaced. I know the guy with the purple A2 has done it, sorry i do not remeber your name.

Robban

Enlightened
Personally I would never do something like that to a light of that caliber. Couldn't you create some type of "hat" for the LEDs that diffuse them? I know there are small caps/hats (I don't know what to call them) that you can put over blue LEDs to create white light. Something like that, only semitransparent instead. This way it's completely reversible.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Hrm, i never thought of that, you have any idea what these "LED condoms" are called?

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Wouldn't the heat from the center bulb melt the jimmy hats?

PJ

Enlightened
LEDmuseum did a review of some silicone caps that go on LEDs. Look for Non-Flashlight LED products and then White Cap LED condoms. He has a link to the company website.

Here is the link to LEDmuseums review.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/whitecap.htm