Eternalight 3M marine vs. EliteXRay

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I got the regular Model 3. Isn't the only difference between the 3 and 3M case color and batteries? You can put your own Lithium AAs in a Model 3 and save yourself some money.

I like some things about the Elite (reinforcing metal inserts for screws) but not others (magnet, increased weight, extra cost), so I got the M3.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Increased weight? Nope, you must be confusing it with something else? If you install lithiums in a standard 3M and compare the weight to the XRay Elite (which includes lithiums, night beacon mode, brighter LEDs, reinforced case/screws, yes I could do without the magnet...) they are about the same. I own 4-3Ms and 1 Elite.

IMHO yes, the Elite is worth the difference if you are an "informed consumer". Have you gone to: The Technology Associates website and looked at the differences?

Direct from them the 3M Marine is $55 and the XRay Elite is $80.

If you go to Eppes Corner's website you'll find the 3M Marine for $42 and the XRay Elite for $50! Be patient, their server is very slow and I'm using broadband. The wait is worth the price difference!

They also have standard Infinity's for $13. Forgot to mention they have the best prices on the leather clip on EternaLight holster also. I think it's $15 from Technology Associates, but last I checked was $10 from Eppes.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ig,
I would recomend the "plain" X-Ray. I have the Marine & the X-Ray, and the X-Ray has the night beacon & is noticeably brighter (at least on mine). At Hosfelt, the X-Ray is $35 & the Marine is $40. Not sure if this is a current price, but is in my last catalog. TX

darkgear.com

Enlightened
For any interested, I will match any of the prices mentioned above on Eternalights. Add $4.30 for USPS Priority mail. Email if interested.

Best regards,
Randy

P.S. Just went back and read again and I cannot sell the belt pouch. I dunno how they get them so cheap
tongue.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Randy, If the retail on the Elite is $80, they can't be making much on it at $50, eh?

I respect you for matching prices! Given the choice, I'd definitely go with you!

Gandalf

Enlightened
I'm very fond of the EternaLight line of lights, and I consider the Elite Xray a significant improvement over the Marine model, which I also own. The Elite is noticeably brighter, (but only in a side by side comparison; in real world use, the outputs are pretty similar). The tougher polycarbonate case, metal screw bushings, and of course the 2 mode beacon LED on the Elite Xray really makes it a great light.

So buy an Elite Xray from Randy; his shipping is a little less than Eppes corner, you'll like it; and it's always good to do business with a fellow CPF member, besides.

Ig

Newly Enlightened
Which one would you prefer? Does EliteXRay worth extra 20%?

Ig

Newly Enlightened
Are the magnet removable?

2 darkgear.com
If you would have normal international shipping...
$40-$70
shocked.gif
looks a little expensive.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have the Elite X-ray and really like it. I got it from Eppes a while back. I would have gone with Randy for that too had I known a month ago. You will like the light after the shape and button functions grow on you. I am finding that I grab it more and more for the usual tasks around the house. The magnet has also been helpful to hold the light in place while working around the furnace and such. I also got the case and am not sure about it yet. It is well made and fits the light perfectly but it is a bit wide for me to wear.

KenBar

Enlightened
Originally posted by Ig:
Is the magnet removable?

2 darkgear.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes.
I took my magnet out and filled the cavity with several stacked pieces of alienskin.

The magnet was nice, but I was afraid I would damage something magnetic as I keep the eternalight close to charge cards etc etc.

How to do it?
Do at your own risk.....
TAKE THE CASE APART.

Take some 115 degree water and let the case soak in it for 30 min. I used a thermos type cup and kept adding hot water.

I then gently "bent" the case (just a tad) and used the smallest jewlers screwdriver to get under the magnet. I then used the thinnest auto feeler guage to slide under it.

It was very easy to come out. It seemed to be a cushioning type of glue.

I then used the magnet as a template to cut out the Alien Skin I stuffed into the hole.

By all means get the Elite Xray. You would reget not having the brass screw inserts later.IMHO
Ken

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Sigman, www.techass.com says the 3M weighs 3.25 oz. and the Elite Marine weighs 3.85 oz. Aside from being a flashaholic, I'm also something of an ultralight backpacking gear freak. The price of a sub-20 pound 3-night pack (including food and water) is paying attention to 10ths of ounces.

Lots of ultralight backpackers just opt for a Photon and call it good, but (1) I'm a flashaholic and (2) I like to hike at night. The Eternalights offer a nice alternative to the Tikka and Aurora headlamps, but you pay a weight penalty for the ability to use Lithium AAs and other features of even the M3.

I got my M3 for $38, shipping included.

Latest posts