M@g74 build up questions

Roadblock

Newly Enlightened
All right:
Did some rummaging about in my storage shed and I found an old 2D purple (must have been the wife's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) M@glite. apon disasembly of the light I discovered that despite being "locked up" for probably five years, its in great shape, bulb was poped, no batteries in it so the inside of the barrel is flawless. So as you can tell by my low number of posts I am in fact a newbie to this hobby (ive always had an affinity for flashlighte tho', could this disease be genetic?) I've been thinking of breathing new life into this old M@g as a M@g74. I am fairly clear on the construction of the assembly what I'm having a hard time doing is locating the parts. (reflector, bi pin slug, bulbs) and such. If anybody would let me know who to talk to about aquiring these parts I would be most apreciative.
Thanks
Paul

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Paul. Welcome to the forum!

For the M@g74 parts, these are what I know where to locate the parts:

--if driven by 6 cells in 2D body, check out Fivemega 6AA to 2D adapters currently on sale in Groupbuy.

Or you could overdrive it at 7 cells, which you could purchase a 8AA to 2D adapters(Fivemega or Modamag) and a dummy cell from Modamag, again on sale currently in GB.(I would recommend this setting since then you could use this same adapter for M@g85 on spec)

--Metalic reflector + Borofloat lens or a 3" Fivemega Mag C/D head assembly. The sale for the reflector might have ended. But you could try posting a WTB for the LOP or HOP(light orange peel or Heavy orange peel) FM Aluminium cammed reflector.

On the other hand, at a premium, you could get the 3" head made by FM which is currently ongoing in GB.

Borofloat lens is needed since the high temp of the bulb will eventually melt your original Mag lens. It could be found at Flashlightlens.com

--WA1274 potted bulbs or Bi-pin slug. I would suggest to read the bi-pin post in Incan forum, and the superbulb series written by Ginseng which might provide a hint as where to get the bi-pin. Or try pm the Incan master might help too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For the potted WA1274, post a WTB for potted WA1274 could also be a solution.

Hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Note: all the cells mentioning above refers to rechargable battery which usually has 1.2V.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easy route is to go the Fivemega threads in Groupbuys and buy a FM 3" head, a FM 6AA body (comes with a potted WA1274 or WA1185) and battery adapter. Then all you need to do is to put in the batteries and click the switch.

If you want to use your existing Mag then you can buy bulbs from Light-edge. They sell BiPin WA1274 and now also have potted WA1185:
http://www.light-edge.com/products.asp?section=Super%20Bulbs&cat=40

If you choose to go BiPin, then slugs can be bought from www.cases4less.com:
http://www.cases4less.com/maglite/detail_mag_recharge_specs.html
part # 108-106

Noting to add on AuroraLites recommondation for battery adapters and lens.

The only hard part then is the reflector, but if you keep an eye out on Groupbuys I'm quite sure Fivemega will start selling reflectors for the standard Mag head real soon.

Sigbjoern

Raybo

Enlightened
I would buy the bi-pin adaptor (seems bi-pin bulbs are somewhat easier to come by) and go that route, you can also just use a UCL (ultra clear lens) from flashlightlens.com for around $7.

You will have to find the "problem" part most have difficulty with, the reflector! Unless you get in on a group buy or if someone is nice enough to part with one, it might take a while to aquire one.