My first lathe-done light mod project--how'd I do?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first lathe-done light mod project--how\'d I do?

Now that the Atlas is 99% back together I figured I'd try a light. Worked out pretty well. It started with one of several old 5C Kel-Lites I got a while ago. This one had some serious corrosion problems towards the tail:

2ckel1.jpg

...so it went into the parts bucket. Until its time of rebirth was at hand. Chucked it in the lathe (a little iffy, since my through-hole can't take the light's body) and parted off the rear 2/3s. Then I faced and chamfered the surface. After that, I tried my first-ever interal threading (no practice or anything--it's not too hard) with a bad boring bar that came with the machine. The result:

2ckel2.jpg

So we ended up with a nice, compact 2C Kel-Lite. This one's sort of a parts-bin special, so it's a little beat all-around. The head and bezel I used were a weirdly discolored and mismatched set (for those who know the breed, it's not a stainless bezel from a BTL) I found. Probably originally black, but now two shades of graphite/gunmetal:

2ckel3.jpg

Right now it's running 2xC with an X102 bulb, but I'll do the PVC+3x123 trick with a 6-cell xenon or 5-cell krypton. Should be pretty bright for the size. I think Juancho has a stock 2C he did that to. Compared to what it looked like before and a vintage SF 6P:

2ckel4.jpg

Size-wise it's a few inches shorter than a 2C Mag--only 6.5" overall. Bulb, reflector, and switch royally blow compared to a Mag, but it is 30 years old after all.

All-in-all I'm happy with the way the project turned out. My machining actually is better than the original. They were done quite poorly on manual machines--no two lights have the same fit. I'd appreciate any opinions or critiques you guys have. Now we just need a name. The Keli? Special-K? Bobbit-Lite? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My first lathe-done light mod project--how\'d I

First time for internal threading for me. I've used lathes before but nothing very outstanding.

This is quite a handy light--only 6.5" long. Good on the 3x123 mod.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

The BobLite...and if your first name were Robert it would be most apropo indeed!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

having the 'repair' gene... one of my biggest gripes in the world is the 'throw it out' mentality.. nobody ever 'fixes' anything anymore.. like for example.. brother's girlfriend tripped on his phone cord (modem) going into his computer and ripped the jack clean out of his laptop.. rather than buy a $80 part to repair it.. i was able to take an unused jack out of a 2-line phone laying around (since i just use the 1/2 jack vs two wires).. and install it into the computer.. i had to use a jewelry saw to cut a hole in the mother board to fit the bigger jack.. fortunately hit no traces and it was fixed for $0.00 and a fair amt of rewarding work.

I was awed by the nature of this repair.. taking something *anybody else* would have thrown out and making a great little light.

-awr