Gladius

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
hello,

I've been away for awhile and have been out of touch with the availability of the Gladius. Is it available yet?

Thanks.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
Yea it is still uncertain for sure when it will be offically released.

We are all waiting eagerly though!

I can't wait for dano's review as well. It is due sometime this week, and hopefully sooner then later!

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Thanks guys,

I just tried to catch up and found out that a couple of sites are taking pre-orders.....

Is strobing bad for LED lights?

sgtlmj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HistoryChannel said:
Is strobing bad for LED lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't be. We've been strobing LED's on emergency equipment for years now.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Okay,

Got a SureFire L6 in the mail today. As many of you already know, this LED light puts out a good light pattern. Although this particular one has a small dark donut hole in the middle of the beam. It does not show up in the pictures as the camera is metering and filling in the blanks.

Disclaimer here: This is just me with a Sony Digital camera, taking shots as the appear. My camera skills are really lacking.

The digital pictures make both lights look better than they are actually performing in terms of intensity and clarity of the hot spot.

The L6 from my eye's point of view is a more yellow/green and the Gladius is clearly more Blue/Purple

The L6 has a brighter but smaller corona than the Gladius. At 10 ft the Gladius' corona is approx 2 ft+ larger.

The Gladius has a more defined & intense (slightly larger) hot spot. I estimate the Gladius hot spot is 6 inches larger in diameter at 10 ft. This factor will start to really figure in as the distance to object/person of interest increases.

The reflectors on these two lights are radically different and certainly accounts for the different light signature easily seen by the eye, but not as distinct with the camera.

From my limited & totally biased point of view the Night-Ops Gladius might be the light of choice because of the additional functions (adjustable light/strobe), smaller package, less batteries to replace, waterproof, & from my vantage point a better light signature, certainly toe-to-toe at the very least. Less expensive to boot.

I may have said this somewhere before; we are currently conducting independent lab tests against a wide array of the competitors lights. The results will be publishable as fact.

Gladius-SFL6-2.jpg

Gladius-SFL6.jpg

Reflectors.jpg

Gladius-SFL6-size.jpg

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Saw the production schedule yesterday. Initial run of lights will be shipping by the end of March, with production ramping up from there.

Those dealers that made a commitment first, will be getting lights first based on that initial commitment.

Hopefully from March thru May we can get the pipeline filled and folks will not be yelling at me too hard with the familiar, "Where the heck is my light!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
Wow, those are great results Ken.

Thanks for posting these comparson shots. I can't believe the Gladius does so well against the L6 considering how different the reflectors are!!

I am more and more impressed with the Gladius the more i read about it

I can't wait to recieve mine! :)

sgtlmj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update Ken. I also like the serial number of the Gladius you are using. I emailed you about our department getting one for T&E... hope I'm not too far down the list.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Wow. Truly impressive, especially considering the small(er) size.

Feel free to post more pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ken,

Do the Gladius' thermal safety features (or any other features) make it safer than other lights for a bad battery that wants to blow?

The recent Pelican burst really sticks in my mind -- the tailcap almost shot through a wooden cabinet door.

Scott

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
That I could not answer. The thermal management in the Gladius is dealing with & addressing the LED/circuitry itself as far as I am aware. Remember, I am Joe LunchBucket when it comes to electrical science.

I can tell you how to use a cell phone, not make one! I am truly the village idiot...

1. I am not sure what the relationship between internal temp and poorly designed/manufactured batteries is.

2. I am not sure it is strictly a temperature related issue.

Maybe a more qualified person can step up and answer this generally.

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Ken, we've seen what the Glsdius can do t close range, and it's amazing. Could it be possible to post some more pics of a slighty futher beamshot? i'm interested... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Luna

Enlightened
The U2 is more in the same size range. Any chance we can see a beamshot against it?

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I think that Ken said that their labs are conducting tests that compare the Gladius to various other lights. We will all just have to wait patiently!!

I am sure once the Gladius hits the market we will see FAR more comparisions and reviews and beamshots and whatnot!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
That is such an amazing light (and looks magnifiscent too)! I really hope the switch technology permeates to other lights for civilian use.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
We dropped PILA's into the Gladius at the SHOT Show.

Although they were snug, we got them in & out and the light was functioning just fine. I have no clue in terms of how they will perform overall in the light over time.

The switch. Yes we can set up the programming to do an infinite number of things in terms of duration, patterns, output, delays etc. Suggestions for "civilian" use, hunting use, security use, all taken onboard.

Just drop me an email: [email protected]

Best to everybody!