KL4 with optics, and KL1 with reflector?

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to change the marked parts (see picture below) of KL4 with KL1, so at the end we have a KL4 with TIR optics and a KL1 with reflector?

DSC02924sx.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think it is possible.

Firstly, the KL1 is sealed much better than the KL4 - I have no yet seen or read that anybody has been able to open an KL1.

Secondly, the KL1 TIR Optic (and the X200A TIR Optic etc) are designed for the LuxeonIII - not the larger LuxeonV. They will not work with the LuxeonV.

Thirdly, the internal construction of the two bezels with regards to electronics and LED location make it unlikely that swapping the front component of the two bezels will allow them to interface correctly.

My understanding that a TIR Optic for a LuxoenV has to be quite a bit larger than for a LuxeonIII.

That said, it may be possible to convert a KL4 to run a Luxeon III. I'm sure it is quite complicated. Most likely it has been done by CPF's amazing Modders!

Al

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're starting to crack open the KL1 (4th gen) lately. Chop just swapped my optic out for a relector. Better to tear open a $50 head that has a Lux-III in it already than to tear into a $125 KL4 and downgrade it.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just did a KL1 and I've done dozens of KL4s. If you do want a lux III with a reflector and just have to have it in a Surefire head, then doing it with the KL1 makes more sense, since the KL1 costs less and has a buck boost converter in it.

After you get through with labor and shipping costs though, you may have been better off just getting an Aleph II head.