Can I direct drive a 3W Luxeon with 4 AA NiMH?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let someone more knowledgable than myself chime in but I don't believe so. I think about 3.6-3.7V is the highest you want to direct drive an L bin 3W at. 3 NiMHs and a dummy cell would work though.

Speaking of the binnings, the 4th character in the binning you want to have L if you're planning on direct driving with 3 cells.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think nimh has much voltage sag under load so you will most probably fry the led with this setup.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if you're just wanting to avoid buying a 'sandwich', you can just use the appropriate resistor(s) to get voltage down to a reasonable level. Less effecient but cheaper.

stockae92

Enlightened
oh, let me clarify /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i have a 3W light that's designed to run with 3AA-1D adapter without regulation (so it should be with resistor)

when it's running 3 alkaline AA, its bright and good

but when i am running 3 NiMH, its less bright and less good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

so i am wondering if i could use a 4AA-1D adapter and make the total higher to make up for the loss in voltage with NiMH?

teststrips

Enlightened
what charger & brand/capacity of batteries are you using. If you have older rechargables they generally don't have as much power, nor are they able to deliver it as quickly as newer batteries. Check out the charger comparison thread for info on high performing batteries and chargers.