Electric Razor?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I shaved off the beard today. I'm now down to a sleekly shaped 'stache and a little bit of a goatee. Anyway, I buzzed it down with an electic clipper, and then killed off what would be a 2 day beard with a Mach3. I ruined the Mach3. I'm going to hone up the straight razor, but on the days that I have to work early I need an electric razor. It needs to be able to cut a rather course beard to a smooth comfortable shave, I don't think anything can cut down to the closeness of a blade, of course, I just need something that'll keep me looking good and won't quit on a coarse beard.

Suggestions, anybody? I don't even know where to start looking, I've had a beard for years and now the electrics do so much. .

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remington Titaniums work very well. Never really need to change blades cause the titanium is so tough. Easy to use. Worth the money I say.

14C

Enlightened
I've owned Norelco and Pansonic electrics. If I get another it'll be a Braun. I've cut myself with single, double and triple bladed razors. I'll never touch a straight razor to my face. With my luck I'd give myself a trach...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So far the Mach 3 is what I use on a regular basis even though you get RIPPEED OFF buying the blades.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I have a Remington Titanium, and while it could be fine for some people, i find that it just does not do a good job on my face at all. I think that i have about a medium coarse hair growth, and it takes MANY passes of the Remington to get a somewhat smooth surface.

I can NEVER match a Mach 3, it is what always does the best job. Although i do admit it is annoying, and wish i could find a good electric that was fairly quick and did a good enough job.

I will add that i have the Remington with the 3 heads, and as i said, it doesn't do a great job, maybe a straight one would do a better job.

I have herd that a straight edge razor is the best way to get a close shave, but i have been unable to find a place that sells them.

Good luck on your hunt for a good electric, it is a hard hunt! I might try Braun or Philips, they make good stuff.

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
I also have a coarse and tough beard and rarely use an electric razor for that reason. I have an inexpensive Braun that is now several years old that does a fair job. The newer and more expensive ones I think are much better. I have had a couple of Norelco triple headers that just didn't cut it! (no pun intended)

If I were buying a new one, I would get a Braun again, just spend a little more for the better model. Almost forgot, mine is a rechargable and has never given any problems and still holds a charge after about 10 years!
dimwatt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

DarkLight

Enlightened
some people on here might just need some cream though...and let the cat lick it off.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping there was some sort of a problem with the Mach3 that prevented it from working the way it should have. Maybe a Quattro is in my future. .

DarkLight

Enlightened
I never shave till after a hot shower, I have used the mach 3 it should last 3 shaves at least. I actually dont like the larger heads and use the sensor...gets around the nose and lips better I think...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a Norelco Quadra rotary electric razor for several years, but I think that my beard slowly became thicker and the razor didn't work nearly as well as it did when I first got it. I tried going back to a blade (the Mach3), but this gave me an even worse shave. (And yes, the blades are a rip-off. I used to think that the yearly $25-$30 for electric blades was steep, but it's nothing compared to yearly cost of blades for the premium manual razors.)

Right now, I am getting very good results with an unorthodox combination of a Norelco Advantage (rotary electric wet razor) and regular gel shaving cream. The Advantage is intended to be used with its own shaving lubricant, but those cartridges are very expensive and don't work nearly as well for me as shaving gel. You just have to rinse off the razor head several times while shaving. I still use the Norelco lubricant in tough spots, but I use much less of it than I would if I were using it alone.

rodfran

Enlightened
I have had good luck with a Braun rechargeable. I have had it for years. I have a beard, but still have to shave my neck and cheeks.
It will work with different voltages. Also the pop up trimmer is handy for trimming beards.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are forums dedicated to electric shavers, believe it or not. I did some "research" a few months back and found that the Braun Activator is the current cream of the crop in electric shavers, with the Panasonic also highly regarded and providing a closer shave, but I think that one only works well with a wet shave in the shower and it irritates sensitive skin and causes ingrown hairs in some users. The Braun Activator seems like the best bet and I have been a very satisfied owner now for 2 months. Available at Walmart for about $130. Self cleaning. Recommended.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got a triple head panasonic that I use in the shower. I also use a mach3 when it gets too long for the electric.

I'm on my 3rd year on the electric's original blades, and I get about 2 weeks on a mach 3 blade.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't you guys feel that shaving is a waste of one's time? I hate shaving! It's pretty much the one thing that I'd genetically engineer out of my body.

I'm using Mach 3 now, but I got much nicer shaves with the original Mach model. I cut myself too much with the M'3.

I guess I shouldn't complain, my bro got his hands on an *old* single blade razor (the ones old barbers use)... man, that thing can do some serious damage to your face!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I hate shaving too. I didn't start shaving till I I was 33 years old, The mustache has stayed for the last 30 years.

I use a Braun 7570. It's the predecessor to the "activator" line, which had about the same design. I like the auto cleaning, but the cleaning cartridges are expensive and hard to find sometimes. You can add 99% isopropral alcohol to the cartridge reservoir to stretch it till you find more.

The newer Brauns can be used wet or dry. I bought one of the 5770 series Brauns when on vacation (my old travel razor finally died) and tried it wet. It does a better job (at $45) when wet than I expected. It shaves clean enough that I can't hear a credit card run across the grain.

Daniel

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been shaving since I was 12 (that was a very long time ago), haven't seen my upper lip in well over 30 years, and have a tough beard -- can grow a full beard in about 3 1/2 weeks. Never found an electric razor that didn't irritate the daylights out of my skin while still giving a lousy shave. Just not worth it for me.

I use a Quattro and cup soap with a brush. I shave once in each direction, with hot water (let the soap and the brush get nice and warm) in the morning. Lasts a very long time (well into the evening) and only takes about 5 minutes. I change the blades about once a week when I feel the drag on the beard getting to be too much.

Next step is a straight razor but that would skeeve out the wife big time. They trust me with sharp objects, so I keep 'em real sharp -- unnerved a hair dresser friend of ours by dry shaving with a pocket knife. The scraping sound was what got her. No blood, real clean shave. It was a cowboy thing to do, I guess, but earned a weird degree of respect that lasts to this day.