Help me pick led flashlight

Fabricator

Newly Enlightened
Hi,Just came across this forum a few days ago.Great site and info.Does anyone have the Streamlight NF-2 LED.I played with this light today and it seemed to have a good throw and overall output.I want something in the NF-2 price range.What other flashlights out perform this light.

nethiker

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Fabricator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I'm not familiar with the Streamlight, but there are many good opinions here. If you are specifically looking for LED, you may want to ask in that forum.

I have also found that you will get the most helpful responces when you give as much background as possible regarding your wants and needs.

Hope you find these forums as friendly and interesting as I have.

Greg

Fabricator

Newly Enlightened
The only LED flashlight I have to compare to is just bought the Dorcy Luxeon 3AAA which for the money seems ok.I tried out the Surefire G2,Z2,C2 and the Streamlight TL-2,Stinger,Strion and all the Tasklights.After reading lots of post and all the flashlight review site I thought these flashlights were going to be a little more bright than they were.Although the Streamlight NF-2 LED seemed to fairly good light.The Streamlight Twintask lights all have a weak ridiculous blue hue to them.What about the Gerber LX-3 or the Pelican PM6 LED.Thanks for your replies.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a few exceptions, virtually all of the flashlights that use 5mm LEDs (as opposed to Luxeons) will have a blue tint. So if that color really bothers you, then you should rule out non-Luxeon LED lights right away. Even the Luxeon LEDs have considerable variation in tint from once piece to another.

Are you looking for a light that has a wide beam, or one that has a lot of throw? That will narrow down which lights you are likely to want.

buba

Newly Enlightened
Welcome,

If you liked the streamlight TL2 LED you may want to look at the www.brightguy.com site as he has the 1st gen's on the closeout page for $42.00. Or take a look at the Nuwai Q3's mother TM-301X-3, another $40 something 2 cell led with two stage switch and a body similar to the streamlight. Q3's Mother

If you like the Pelican LED has the LED for less than $50 and is taking pre-orders for the new 3w, regulated, HAIII version for $100. Batterystation also has the best deals on CR123's battery's for $1.00 ea which are quality wise equal or better than anyone else's at the monment including name brands. Kevin at BS is a good CPF supporter, ask for him if you call to order. BatteryStation

Luman

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realize Streamlight had a NF-2 LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, but brightguy has it listed for $58.95. If you get a NF-2 here's a suggestion for a great way to carry it. I replaced the nut/set screw in the grip ring on my Xenon NF-2 with a #6-32 nut and a 3/8" long set screw and screwed on a Mcgizmo button swivel . This allows me to carry it on a cell phone belt clip.