HELP needed (SL stinger xthp)...PLEEZ

vhyper007

Enlightened
PLEASE READ AND OFFER SUGGESTIONS.

Ignorance is truly bliss. I was perfectly happy with several lights from my LEO days and then I discovered CPF. Since then I am no longer happy with what I considered to be pretty good lights. Also my bank account has dwindled considerably.

Problem. I have SL 20X, TT1l, Ultrastinger HP, stinger XTHP and a couple other SL's.

The beam quality of the stinger XTHP just absolutely, undeniably SUCKS. This I did not know until I began reading CPF.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to remedy this situation. And when I say sucks, I do mean suck.
Someone please offer some relief!!!
Regards,
Vhyper

Steve C

Enlightened
Re: SL stinger xthp

What agency, vhyper007?

I am a refugee from Troop F; now working HQ in Baton Rouge.

Just what do you need this light to do? We're issued regular Stingers these days, and the beam is okay- until the battery dies, which doesn't take long... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If you're still on the job, you want some sort of incan for a "duty" light. If bad guys in the shadows are no longer a concern, there are some REALLY trick LED lights (such as the SureFire L4) that really light up the surrounding area.

oklalawman

Enlightened

The sl20 you can put an sl35 bulb in. That is a good mod.
If your stinger wzs not an xt you could use a fivemegas li-ion adapter. That SMOKES.Light, bright and throws. I can light up the telephone pole at the end of my drive with it
(over 1/4 mile). On an xt about the only thing you can do
is put a 3000 mah battery to increase run time unless you get into custom battery packs like Ginseng used in his stinger mods. That would allow you to use either the ultra stinger bulb or a wa1160. Of course that is a trade off the extra cells to get to 6 volts are less mah so less run time. In your ultra stinger you could try the wa1160 as it will phyiscally fit and give about 500 lumens.

vhyper007

Enlightened

oklalawman,
thanks for your interest in my post. I appreciate your suggestions. BTW I have read several of your posts on other forums which I find interesting and which indicate quite a bit of "time" on the job.
Tac Forums and Glock Talk if I recall correctly, maybe another or two.

Is the xthp just a ******* stepchild or what? No improvements seem available to help the poor thing. Again, I didn't realize how damn bad it was until I started reading CPF but the hot spot has a donut and when focused in certain ways it literally looks like the rings around a bullseye target. It SEEMS useful only close up as a temporary blinding light which I am not discounting but I am disappointed with in toto.

I'm no longer active but you know it never gets completely out of the blood. I was definitely happy to see "sunset" on Clinton's bill as now I dont have to rid myself of any of my gadgets.

Again, I appreciate your time and if you have any further suggestions I would surely entertain them.

Watch out for the next guy.
Best Regards,
vhyper

vhyper007

Enlightened

Oklahoma,
does the replacement of a bulb in sl20 require replacement of the reflector also. It looks like a one piece deal to me.
Thanks,
Vhyper

ps interested in a stinger xthp?

oklalawman

Enlightened

The sl35 and 20s are one piece and it is a straight drop in.
It just reduces run time. Check in the dealer section one of them is selling superbulbs. I was begining to think all of the stingers were un modable. The xt due to the location of the switch is the limiting factor. Do a search on Ginseng
as author and stinger in subject and you can pop up his posts. I am new to modding myself. See if you can get a regular stinger hp and get one of fivemegas pila adapters.
It has more than double the light output of the stock. natchez shooters has them onsale, light only, now. Since you are putting in different batteries and charging system
you dont need anythig but the light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

With the XTHP you are stuck with a terrible reflector. I had the Superstinger with the same reflector, and I sold it. Maybe you could sell your XTHP and purchase a regular Stinger and get the Ultra head made for the threads of the Stinger. Beautiful reflector, all orange peel texture. Smooth beam. Actually, I prefer the standard Stinger, with its nice orange peel reflector. Go for a battery upgrade, with this, and you will be happy, either the 3000+ subC packs, or the LiIon mentioned in earlier post and its hot wire bulbs.

Bill

vhyper007

Enlightened

Bullzeye,
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I appreciate the help everyone has offered. I guess that is what makes CPF as good as it is. I dont want to foist the xthp(turd that it is) off on someone else so I guess i will just live with it as is and learn from my mistakes.
Again, thanks for your input
regards,
vhyper

vhyper007

Enlightened

Okla,
I couldn't tell a gnat's eyelash diff in the xl 20 and xl 35 bulb. The overall qual of the 20 was better as far as artifact, etc.
I will check natchez on the stinger and see what they have. Where do you order a wa 1160 bulb. It doesnt say anything about use in ultrastingers?
Stay safe,
vhyper

redbird

Enlightened

I changed my SL 20 bulb to the SL35 and it was very noticable to me. I dont understand why you cant see any difference. I am very pleased with the change.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif