Anyone seen cellphones with Luxeons?

XtremePyro

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing Lumileds website last night and saw a press release talking about the development of Luxeons for use in camera cellphones as a flash for the improvment of taking a picturewith your cell phone camera in low light conditions.
They also said that the Luxeon could be turned on and used as a flashlight. ( Everyone else sees a cell phone that doubles as a flashlight, we see a flashlight that doubles as a cell phone) Anyway the press release said that retailers in the US should start having these by the 2004 holiday season. I havnt seen any yet, this was the first Ive heard of it, havnt seen in mentioned on CPF yet either unless Ive missed it. Anyone know anything?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Tim

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I can see a Luixeon being used as a flash for a cellphone, but I can't see it being used as a serious flashlight in one. The goals of long talk time and flashlight brightness are mutually exclusive. Maybe then could operate it in a dimmed-down mode for a flashlight to conserve battery time and not over-stress the li-on rechargeable.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are quite a few cell phones around that feature LED flashes in them. I don't know if they are Luxeons, but the ones I have seen are basically not even worth having for a flash because the pictures always turn out to crappy and dark no matter what. It's good to search for a keyhole or something, but that is about it.

XtremePyro

Newly Enlightened
Yes the Lumileds page talked about the other led flashes that were practically useless. These are supposed to be the first ones that actually give decent results.
Yes using the Luxeon in flashlight mode would be in contrast to saving battery life for talk or standby time, and I beleive in the lumileds press release they suggested that the flashlight mode could be used in case of an emergency, so there not suggesting its a flashlight/cellphone in one.
My comment on seeing it as a flashlight that doubles as a cell phone was more for humor than anything.
Tim