Mountain oysters, anyone?

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried these deep fried? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif I saw the post about sardines and happened to recall my mis spent youth. LOL

Everyone know what they are? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I havn't had them for many, many years since living with my parents on a ranch that Dad managed in the Oklahoma panhandle near Boise City.

Anyone from near there or visit there? I would love to see some photos of it after close to 50 years!

dimwatt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
As I said, I havn't had them since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I don't remember how I was persuaded to eat them but I know that unlike today, growing up in the '50s you pretty much ate what your parents told you to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif I'm pretty sure they didn't tell me they were vegetables! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I love fried oysters, smoked oysters, and they're OK on the half shell and in a shot glass. ("Shooters.") I have been fortunate to never encounter a "bad oyster!" which I hear can really ruin your day! Never tried the Rocky mountain variety, but I think I would. I've had escargo several times and it was great! For some cuilinary treats, check out PK's site. (Sorry, I couldn't find the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) Now, eating insects, whether fried or chocolet-covered might be another matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (A man gotta know his limitations! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.pk-engineering.com/

I used to think Rocky Mountain oysters were actually made of the seagoing kind of oyster... well, I have been ejdumacated here on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, from that site, it looks like pk eats the good stuff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (but I think some of the places where he's been take fresh chicken a little too literally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
To us Boy Scouts 40 years ago, they were referred to as broiled, barbequed, baked or boiled bull balls.
-Especially tasty when served as a side dish with a steaming plate of fresh road apples..yumm-yummmm.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
WELL actually,

TRUE Rocky Mountain oysters are sheep testicles, at least to most of us westerners. I am told that old time Basque shepherds, who made up the celebrated majority of the Wests wandering shepherds, actually were very adept at castrating sheep with their teeth and then spitting the pair into a bucket of ice cold stream water.

The name has come to be applied to both, as well as to the Buffalo version, however.

The sheep variety are smaller, obviously.

Of the 3, I like the buffalo the best, then the cattle. The sheep variety has a different taste, perhaps because they eat almost only grasses, and thus the taste is "gamier".

Don't even think about the rest of the things I've eaten over the years, including some of those insects mentioned above!

However, reviewing the PK site, Paul has eaten some TRULY weird stuff, some of that sushi is incredible and the blutes (sp?)(partially/fully developed chicken or duck embryos) are too. The blutes are a real delicacy in parts of the Far East.

Bill

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
I forgot what they call it but unborn calves are a huge delicacy in parts of the world. It's amazing how we view things outside our own culture and often don't look at things from another point of view and realize how weird we must be to other cultures.

I think Bill is correct about the Basque sheep herders originating the "oysters". Castration by tooth?? I am glad to say I hadn't heard of that one! Makes you wonder if they ate any of them like true Oysters while they were at it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

This thread is getting more entertaining all the time!LOL

dimwatt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The story I heard is that raw sheep testicles are considered a delicacy and that the cold stream water was to make the muscle part easier to peel!

Bill

DaFiend

Enlightened
I've heard of them refered to as "bush oysters" aswell.....

Not my idea of a "High Protien" diet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

LOOK-------------------> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Box of mountain oysters!

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
A friend once claimed that as a rite of passage for a true hunter one must eat the fresh uncooked "oysters" from the game just harvested. Oh yes, to be washed down with warm beer. And as a true hunter he claimed to have passed this rite of passage.

We, his friends said this was another of his many and varied BS stories.

So to prove that my friend was the greatest liar of our group I carried a can of beer for some years on our hunting trips.

The same can of beer.

It took several years because the "oysters" had
to be extreamly fresh and while we hunt in the same area we don't exactly hunt together. And saving the "oysters" till we joined up would not be proper form. Fresh is the key.

But as time went on and the lable on the can of beer became harder to read as time went by, I worried about ever seeing spectacle of his grandest story.

The time came when all was perfect but when I said for him to put up or shut up he claimed because he had no beer it would not be in proper form. Needless to say he didn't know I carried THE can of beer.

He did. We saw. He is the only true hunter in the group.

Leadfoot

Finbar

Newly Enlightened
Lamb fry.

"I love lamb fry."
"Now there's a man who knows when he has somethin' good in his mouth."
"That one makes 29. One more and the record falls."
"Most folks just don't have a taste for sheep testicles anymore."
"Tell him why your's are so tastee."
"Cuz I cut 'em off {palm of hand cradling upwards} way up high."
- Funny Farm, Chevy Chase

There would have to an occurence of worldwide hollocaust, of unequal proportions, for me to take a chomp on a sheep's tater sack! I mean real wrath of God stuff. Biblical. Old Testament. 40 days of darkness, rivers of blood...cats and dogs livin' together - MASS HYSTERIA!"

I think to try new things one needs to go to the country of origin of the food in question. I never would have tried conch if I had not been starving in the Bahammas. Sea slugs. Escargot of tha sea. "Now, there's a man who knows when he has somethin' good in his mouth."

You are what you eat. I'm a jelly doughnut. With chocolate glaze. Krispy Kreme™.

Fin Fry

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to try to gross you guys out by telling you about a little product I bought in a major grocery store as a joke for a co-worker's pot luck birthday party. It is a tin of Kelly's Pork Brains in Milk Gravy. Today a girl told me that pork brains and scrambled eggs was not a smell you wanted to wake up to. She meant it. Oh my.

So I Googled for a pic and found this site. PottedMeatMuseum

Haggis and Drambuie
Beef and Iron Wine
Conch
Shark Fin Soup
Texas Roadrunner Meat

and so on.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak - check the label. I bought a can of Rose Pork Grains in Milk Gravy for a joke at work. A 5 oz can has 3190 mg of Cholesterol!

I really miss Emart's Potted Meat. My grandfather sold it in his store. They've been out of business for several years.

There's one deserving item I don't think anyone's mentioned. Kimchee (sp?), a staple in Korea. Just think cabbage that's been buried for a while so that it looks like the stuff found at the back of a fraternity fridge at the end of the year. You know, a slimy goop that makes used diapers smell rosy. I grew up on raw gulf oysters and they've got nothing on kimchee in the slick and slimy area. If you can get by the smell, and the feel (no small feat, either), the taste is wonderful!

LVC2

Newly Enlightened
Arlen,
For a trip down memory lane come back to Oklahoma for the annual calf fry at Tumbleweeds in Stillwater, OK. All the barbecue and calf fries you can eat & all the beer you can drink. A quick peek at their website shows that they serve about 3,000 calf fry meals to about 10,000 attendees.