Anyone going to the Dayton Hamvention this year?

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
Re: Anyone going to the Dayton Hamvention this yea

I should be going and if every thing goes well I will be selling misc, junk there as well.

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened

Anyone have a decent, but cheap 2 meter rig I could start with? I have wanted to get into Amateur radio for many years but always had other priorities. Now that you no longer have to pass code for two meter, I am interested again but can't afford toi spend TOO much on ANOTHER hobby.

dimwatt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:
I should be going and if every thing goes well I will be selling misc, junk there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look for 'ya there. I wonder if there will be enough CPF'ers attending to warrant a get-together?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Same corner, Snakebite? I'll look for the antenna farm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg

Newly Enlightened

Do you think any new rigs are going to be introduced by any of the manufacturers?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I honestly don't know, Greg. It seems the market is kind of saturated right now and if I was a manufacturer I'd be worried about sitting on a lot of last year's inventory.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

wish I was going - but no dice - I'll be doing an ARES op here in NYC instead. Besides - no budget right now (ham radio budget was curtailed last week BIG time by my wife getting notice that her position is being eliminated - good thing I got my MkV field BEFORE that)

So, I sayed home today, and played in the Mid Atlantic QSO party

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Sorry to hear that Charles, but I know what you mean about the budget! I had some major unexpected expenses pop up last year and I'm still recovering from them, so I'll be choosing my purchases very carefully this time.

spock

Enlightened

hello, my small rant on hamvention. it is a giant market of new and used equip. for "existing" hams. wanted to be a ham for years, finally gave up. when i was there, had question about "no code" lic.(room location). no one knew or cared-just wanted to sell me something! talked to VP of ARRL about how to use repeater. he refused to help me and suggested i buy equip. first and learn to use it! how can i buy the equip., when i don't know what to buy? that could be an expensive lesson. here is my take: have a second, smaller hamvention with no licensed hams allowed. the dealers and forums would need hams of course. then people wanting to be hams could ask questions about tests, radios, repeaters, distance, and so on. think this would add many new hams to the ranks. by the way, even with an electronics background, I still don't know how to "dial" up a repeater.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

That's a shame, Spock - they collectively dropped the ball on that one. Yes it's a giant flea market and that's mostly what I go there for, looking for the oddball electronics bargain, but I would've probably been treated the same if I'd been in your shoes. As a matter of fact, Snakebite was kind enough to show me how to "dial up" a repeater and gave me some helpful suggestions on appropriate hardware, so they're not ALL there just to make a buck!

I like your idea about a mini-hamfest. They're always moaning about the need to bring new blood into the hobby, so why not start doing something proactive like this?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

you must have run up on some of the few jerks in this service.
some have the nocoders are evil mentality.
btw there are exams held there and all classes are supported.
so cram that study guide and take your test this year.
btw i just found out my spaces are 3929-3930
see you there!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

if spock is still following this thread you are welcome to stop by and we will help if we can.
btw dara has underwent a major changing of the guard so to speak and many unsavory elements have gone away.
you may feel more welcome this year.
dig out that study guide and get to it!
i will have a few inexpensive 2m and 70cm rigs on the tables and even a modded arc-ls ans a new arc-aaa turquoise.

spock

Enlightened

snakebite, thank you and others for offering to help. going to try to make it, but wife's mother is in hospital with clot in her leg. she is ok, but needs care. copied your booth number in case i get there.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Just got back from Dayton. I saw Snakebite again (good to see 'ya) but I didn't see Draco anywhere, and I was looking for him. Spock, did you make it there?

BTW, saw a booth where an asian dealer was ahowing an EXACT clone of the Nuwai QIII. Same flashlight, same performance, even the same holster and packaging. The only thing that wasn't the same was trhe price - he was asking a lot more than our friends at CountyComm are.

Also saw a booth where they had several Thor 10-million CP units fo rsale, but for a price that was $40 higher than Costco. Needless to say he wasn't selling any.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif