Went Durian picking with KL3+C3 and innova X5T

Deviant

Enlightened
Went to the nature reserve this morning to pick durians. it was in the early hours abt 4-5a.m. The trail it was really dark, there was so much overhead cover that i could not see the sky. Then i powered my KL3.

All i can say is wow!
grin.gif
the lite from the KL3 is bright yet there is no glare like the 6P. despite the mist it could still light the path up pretty well with a lot of side spill. so i started walking till i reached the durians. Durians are only ripe when they drop on the ground. So i tried the innova on a headband. the beam was too broad that is created reflections on my glasses so I gave up and with the KL3 in one hand and a bag in the other, clumsily look for durians. fortunately no durians came crashing from the top
tongue.gif
icon15.gif

I have had the KL3 for quite some time but have been reserving my commnets on it for real world use. There's a slight bluish tint on the beam of the KL3 but i'm satistied with it

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I just read some details on the Web about Durians. I had never heard of them until I read your post!

While you have 2 really great lights, you could have used a headlight on your Durian picking trip. If you get a headlight though, it sounds like you better get one that can withstand the impact of a falling durian!
tongue.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the looks a those things, I'd be investing in a helmet... what do they taste like anyway?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey, you might want to edit out the d****n part before hotfoot comes in and takes them from you...

i have never had a durian...
frown.gif

slick...it depends on what kind you get...plastic helmets are the worst imho...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saint, you bo jio.... how could you.... warrao.. I very free you know..

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slick, some taste sweet, not candy sweet, more like fruit sweet, like apple, not orange, like water melon sweet, like...mango sweet, more of mango sweet, and they are soft, thicker than cream, like a bit like dried up starch, but still gooey... and there is the aroma, which contributes more than 70% of the overall taste, 30% is more like the sweetness.

Roth, you want some durians? Come over to Singapore some time within the next 3 months and I bring you to go on a tour.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks nerd! you're a great guy!

i'll pack my bags and contact you as soon as i have a couple thousand $$$ saved up
grin.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
Luminocity,

don't think my head will survive the impact thought the light would
icon15.gif
try holding a heavy durian and u will have imprints like u have placed your hand on a bed of needles. Ouch!

Slick,
they are kind of creamy, pungent, sometimes sweet, bitter. every durian seem to taste different I don't really like the havested ones, there's a after taste which i guess it's from all the growth hormones or chemicals added

Nerd,
had no advance plans jump out of bed at abt 4a.m. and though i make a trip down to Bukit Timah. i think it was more like flasholism rather than the hunger for durians.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Rothrandir,

why don't i mail u a durian seed and u can save on a couple thousand $$$
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Aren't Durians the "Limburger Cheese" of the fruit world? Tastes great but smells like
a rotting corpse ? 8*0

Or is that Jack Fruit or Soursop? I remember seeing something about these on the Travel Channel.

/ed brown in the frozen wastelands

CiTY

Enlightened
I've hear somebody say if you eat a lot of Durian and you drink a lot of alcohol (i.e. Beer) you could get a sudden raise in blood presure and die... I have not had durian in years, back in Singapore when my company stationed me there. And your right the stuff is a stinker.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds fascinating! Reading about it I see that you can purchase seeds from this gentleman:

http://www.durian.net/durian_sale.htm

And in 5 to 10 years you might get fruit. Sounds like a good project for the back yard
wink.gif
Might be even better than an alarm or a dog to keep people out of the yard... if I had more room in the new yard I might start pretending to be some kind of a botanist.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It smells too much for the fruits and veges forum. But it doesn't belong to the LED side either, let's stop going off topic.