Electroluminescent Christmas lights

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wit's End -

That photo just makes me feel good on many levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It is not uncommon for northern lights to be composed of red and green. It is not unfathomable that someone living in an area that renders northern lights frequently to, after years of observations, have the foresight to decorate trees on their property with red and green lights in the hopes of capturing this shot. The web site states that these copy righted, contest shots are not digitally altered.

Know what? I choose to believe it's real. I can't stop looking at it.

Thanks.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Yes, I just wish there was a higher res version available. I put it on as my wallpaper but had to center it as it lost alot filling the whole screen.
I imagine you don't see them too often. I see them several times a month, sometimes even in summer. They quite often look like clouds until they start pulsing and taking on color. One of the many advantages of living north of civilization
smile.gif
Very rare though to see them so bright, but I suppose you can get them brighter with a longer exposure than my (over 40) eyes can really see.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, a little like that pic that was posted recently of the Milky Way with the observatory in the foreground. It was so spectacular you would think it was altered but it wasn't.

Really, thanks allot for the photo. We are up very late, having hot brandy toddies, listening to Vincent Gauraldi (Charlie Brown's Christmas) and discussing what it would be like to stand there and marvel. Christmas Eve and we're finally in the mood.

Merry Christmas

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
They are rather spectacular here in Anchorage and even better away from the city lights. They are seen here quite often. Makes me want to go out and try to get some of those pics! Many fantastic displays here on those nights that are just toooooo cold to go out an fidget with camera gear. Guess that's the difference between a pro and me! All it takes is preparation and time!

I was shocked to see them once in Northeast Ohio as a child. It really makes you wonder about our small place in the universe!

Brock

Flashaholic
The aurora might be real, but the lighting on the trees was added, look at the shadows (I do lighting design on the side). None of the shadows match on the trees, there is now way those are lit by the sky or the lights on the trees themselves. It looks like 3 or 4 different lights just out of the camera's view were used.

It does look cool and someone spent time lighting it very nicely. Or they cropped a bunch of different images to make a nice scene.

fasteddie

Enlightened
I've seen the Aurora Borealis from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. On a ski trip a long time ago, we walked out of a bar (I forget what town and the bar) at 1am or so. Temperature was well below 0, and the sky appeared to be on fire. Sheets of blue, red and every shade in between rained down from the night sky. After regaining our senses, we drove away from the city lights and sat in the car and watched in amazement as long as we could. Even with the heater going full blast, it was too cold to stay very long. Sorry, but no still picture could ever do justice to that incredible light show.

Brock

Flashaholic
That's for sure! It is truly amazing to see in person on a dark night. Oddly enough the brightest night I ever saw them was also in Michigan's UP, my mom is from Garden. It was the night of our second wedding reception (one for each side of the family, big families) and we were sitting out with all my cousins just watching the sky. Amazing.

Latest posts