Gerber LX-3...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While in REI, I saw an LX-3 for the first time, I had no idea they were so big! How do ya'll carry these things?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifchiphead

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
lx3-2.jpg

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I don't EDC my LX3.0, but if I were to carry it around all day long, I would imagine it to be in a bag or a holster.

Personally, I think it's size is fair, considering it is a three cells light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you want LED lights with a similar build, I would recommend Gerber Trio which, IIRC, is shorter and longer runtime.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
It fits perfectly in a retactable baton belt holster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Try a local flea market or a police/security equip. store.

DimBeam

Enlightened
Big?? Try lugging around a Maglite and you will see a big difference. I just bought one and it is a outstanding light and extremely well made. Gerber hit a home run with this light.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
This light also makes a handy baton in a pinch, I would think. Built solidly like a tank. Not a pocket light though.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fella's
I've gotten used to my QIII,6PBrinkmans and even my X3! But this things seems like a big tube! On the other hand, it well fit will in my alice pack. REI has it for $51+tax, I know I can beat that!
Thanks for the feedback

chiphead

cognitivefun

Enlightened
For a Lux3 running AAA batteries, this light is one of the best. It has tremendous brightness (at first) given that it is a Lux3 light.

It's primary disadvantage isn't its size, but the fact that it is not regulated. You get maybe 2 good bright hours and then many hours of declining brightness. This isn't such a bad thing as it means you'll have many hours of moonmode in a pinch.

I use mine with NiMH batteries as one of my "walk the dog" lights. When my brother went to Hawaii, this is one of the lights I lent him.

I think Gerber made an intelligent design decision in making this light so tank-like and durable.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I like to keep my edc small also, (still an SF L1 and QIII for work) but these are great "general use" lights. I keep mine on my desk at home and it definitely has a place in my emergency backpack. (This light will probably replace my SL luxeon tasklight, I think it's worth the weight increase.) So far it seems extremely durable and dependable.

In my lifetime I've had enough clicking switch types fail (and fly apart.. heh) that I'm biased toward the "awkward" twisties. For my purposes the only improvement on this light would possibly be a reflector instead of optics.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
For a Lux3 running AAA batteries, this light is one of the best. It has tremendous brightness (at first) given that it is a Lux3 light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the LX3 a 3x AA light?

How bad is the brightness dropoff when using NIMH?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
apologies, I meant to write AA.

It runs very well on NiMH batteries, maybe brighter. Visible drop-off in brightness happens pretty quickly, perhaps within an hour.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Looking at some battery data sheets for 2500mAh NiMh AAs, the light should (in theory) fade to 89% output within 30 minutes, maintain at this level for another hour, then rapidly dim out in another 30 minutes. Does this about match your experience?

I wish someone made a regulated AA light that had the same output power as the LX3.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
Looking at some battery data sheets for 2500mAh NiMh AAs, the light should (in theory) fade to 89% output within 30 minutes, maintain at this level for another hour, then rapidly dim out in another 30 minutes. Does this about match your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

[ QUOTE ]
I wish someone made a regulated AA light that had the same output power as the LX3.

[/ QUOTE ]

The closest production light I am aware of like that is the SL Lux Jr. but of course, alas, the output is not the same as the LX3 although it's pretty decent actually, of course it's 1wt not 3wt lux.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thinik i might buy the TX 3.0. tactical version of lx 3.0. and pretty nice looking too.

Latest posts