New Type of LED

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Interesting looking LED's! Typical press release; available in red, yellow and orange and they show blue and green LED's ???????? Twice as efficient AND twice as bright or is it really twice as efficient OR twice as bright? IE. Is it 4X the lumen/watt or 2X the lumen/watt of typical high bright LED's?

- Don

Jonathan

Enlightened
I am not familiar with these devices.

However looking at their datasheet, and guesstimating from their Cd rating and their beam angle, I figure that these devices put out about 0.5 lumen at 25 mA...a far cry from 'twice as bright' if you can buy LEDs that put out 5 lumen at 75mA and similar voltages.

If you use Lumileds 'Superflux' devices, I figure that you get about 3x the lumen per watt performance.

A potential nice feature of the Omron devices is the light coming from the outer area of the device...I'd expect these devices to be more comfortable to look at since the light is coming from a larger surface area.

-Jon

Wylie

Enlightened
Jonathan,
Thanks for the heads up. It looks as though they may just be looking for interest in their company.
From what I found with the link on other post, the first page mentions white LEDs but then you look at the pdf files and they seem to be missing. What's up with that, I have already lost some trust in a company that pulls that kind of non-sense.
icon3.gif

It sounds as though any type of cluster configurations could be a waste of time as these things take more space and may not have all that great an advantage except for a more even dispersing of light.
I guess we will have to wait and see how well these really work. I will let someone else spend their money before I get any I think.

Wylie