Q-III improvements

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi,

Got my first Q-III through after reading so much about them - very satisfied. Did a couple of things to make it even better though - worth doing these if you have the time.

1. Fitting UCL glass. The original is a rather poor plastic material that does not have very good light transmittance. If you fit the UCL glass, the output is visibly improved as well as being safer to wipe with a cloth without scratching.

2. Centering the star. I noted that it was offset in the reflector - no big deal but looks poor. Using a Dremel, I took just a whisker off the corners of the heatsink, thus enabling the emmiter to be centralised. Looks better for that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One question I do have is concerning the bin - TY0K. Is this a good bin for the QIII? I was wondering if it was worth upgrading or not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for any info,

Ian

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot to use a rechargeable 123 battery. JSBurly and batterystation have what you need. The higher voltage of 4.2 can easily be ran with your TYOK (which is perfect for this kind of setup).

Jeff

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for the replies concerning the rechargeables.

At the moment I am using lithium 123's (not rechargeable) that have just started to yellow in my SF M6 or E2e, so as to save throwing away a serviceable battery. Would I be better off with another binned Luxeon for my needs or is SY0K OK for this?

I know rechargeables are probably the way forward but I do like to drain my 123's before binning them and the Q III does this quite well.

Cheers,

Ian